new Wacom Bamboo stylus Duo $40

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Luba, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

It's coming out April 24th, Duo is both stylus and pen, check out http://www.wacom.com/en/Products/Bamboo/BambooStylus/Duo.aspx

I may cancel my order for the Bamboo solo . . . my worry with the Duo is the cap isn't on the pen securely so when it's clipped to a bag or shirt pocket, and you pull the pen out by grasping the cap the stylus can fling to the ground and get damaged. The cap isn't screw-on, it's held by friction (at least that's my conclusion looking at the pics) via those black rings. There are two black rings on the pen end, and one ring on the stylus nib end.

2. alau0115 macrumors regular

I have the solo version and the quality of the pen is top-notch --- it is a fine piece of "writing tool". All the edges of the aluminium are smooth and the holding area is of matte, soft material. It is made in Japan and the packaging is quite good as well.

For a big hand, I find it very comfortable to hold it.

For the stylus nib, it is of smooth, fine rubber type which is compressible. When pressing the iPad, there is some travelling distance before the nib is fully compressed. I also find the distance travels a bit further when compared to a similar product offered by SGP (Kuel H12).

When looking at the picture of the Duo version, it seems that it should deliver similar quality. Even the weight is the same (20g) I think the rubber rings near the end of the barrel should stop the cap for the pen side. The only thing that may be the deciding factor is the colour choice. I bet there will be more colours for the duo in near future...

3. rgr555 macrumors 6502

rather use a real pen to write with

the bamboo stylus at $30 is already $5 too expensive imo. pretty much $10 for a pen, yikes

4. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Really tempting. But I just know that one day I would use the wrong end on the screen and leave a scratch . . .

5. Luba thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luba

Well that does it, I will stay with the solo, because of the better color choice and the danger of accidentally using the wrong side of the pen. Don't want to scratch the screen, and if I really needed a pen then I would pull out a real pen. :)

----------

BTW, have read on the net that some people think once the rubber nib wears away you need to buy a new stylus. Actually, you can buy refills! 3 for $5.

6. alau0115 macrumors regular

Yup, the refills are available. Just simply unscrew the metal cap in order to reach the bottom of the nib.

Besides, I find I need to use more pressure on the pen in order to register the input on the iPad. With bare fingers, I can use lighter pressure on the screen and so I make sure the screen is clean enough before using the stylus.

7. richpuer macrumors 6502

Can someone please tell me where and how to buy these refills? They seem to never ever have any stock on their website. I ordered from 2 vendors on amazon and had both orders cancelled even though it said there was stock. This also seems to be the chief complaint about this stylus

8. CaleM3, Apr 12, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2012

CaleM3 macrumors member

I've seen them on Ebay, but they are usually more expensive.

9. alau0115 macrumors regular

I haven't bought the refills yet as I want to see how long the nib will last based on my usage/writing habit. I bought the stylus from amazon.ca and it seems it is quite popular especially the coloured ones. I checked the site the other day and most of the coloured ones are not in stock.

10. richpuer macrumors 6502

Omg thank you for that. Funny cuz I did check weeks before and just a moment before I posted the question the other day and there was no stock. I had that link bookmarked for the longest time chewing daily.

I just placed an orde for one. I love this stylus and so far it doesn't show any wear but I only use for like 30 mins per day. Got one pack just in case. Cheap insurance IMO. Thanks again