Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
No never ask them to change any color.
Not sure where change color come from????

from the bit where you said they should sell in aluminium, space grey aluminium, rose gold aluminium, gold aluminium, stainless steel (neglecting space black stainless steel) and gold (neglecting rose gold)...

it's currently white. that means you are suggesting they change the colour...

jasie02

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
from the bit where you said they should sell in aluminium, space grey aluminium, rose gold aluminium, gold aluminium, stainless steel (neglecting space black stainless steel) and gold (neglecting rose gold)...

it's currently white. that means you are suggesting they change the colour...

??? No idea what are you talking about.

Please re-read both of my explanation.
You are smart enough, you should be able understand what did I really said what Apple should come up with AW stand, instead of UFO.

Like I said, I could care less about Apple's current UFO shape AW stand. I will give away for Christmast gift if I get it for free.

NicolasLGA

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2015
??? No idea what are you talking about.

Please re-read both of my explanation.
You are smart enough, you should be able understand what did I really said what Apple should come up with AW stand, instead of UFO.

Like I said, I could care less about Apple's current UFO shape AW stand. I will give away for Christmast gift if I get it for free.

I'm sorry but you're the one not making sense... You asked for 6 Apple Watch docks in different colours to match the iPhones and aluminium watches, the SS watch and the Edition.

jasie02

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
I'm sorry but you're the one not making sense... You asked for 6 Apple Watch docks in different colours to match the iPhones and aluminium watches, the SS watch and the Edition.

Why does that not make sense?

Why not 6 color of AW stand, when there is 4 color of iPhone stand.

Remember several model of AW are more expensive than all iPhone model. If people welling to pay more for more more expensive AW. Why not more AW stand color?

NicolasLGA

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2015
Why does that not make sense?

Why not 6 color of AW stand, when there is 4 color of iPhone stand.

Remember several model of AW are more expensive than all iPhone model. If people welling to pay more more more expensive AW. Why not more AW stand color?

Because you wrote that you never asked for new colours which is exactly what you asked for. There's 3 people on this thread that don't completely understand what you're saying. It's not a very productive discussion.

I understand that the dock could be available in other colours and it could be nice to have a matching one.

For what it's worth, I kinda like the new dock and will buy it. I understand it's not your style. You have a plethora of other docks and stands to choose from, including ones who also accomodate an iPhone.

Reactions: CarlJ and nicho

jasie02

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
Because you wrote that you never asked for new colours which is exactly what you asked for. There's 3 people on this thread that don't completely understand what you're saying. It's not a very productive discussion.

I understand that the dock could be available in other colours and it could be nice to have a matching one.

For what it's worth, I kinda like the new dock and will buy it. I understand it's not your style. You have a plethora of other docks and stands to choose from, including ones who also accomodate an iPhone.

I wasn't talking about UFO white color. I was talking about 4 color in iPhone 6s docks, and translated to 4+2 colors into AW docks.

Let me say it one last time, hope you understand following sentence, and let me know any word in following sentence you have difficulty understand.
"I DON'T CARE ABOUT APPLE UFO"
If anyone don't care about "it", it is likely they were not talking about "it".

Last edited:

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
Ok, I have softened on my negativity towards the Apple Watch Dock. I looked at it in person at the Apple Store and it's pretty sweet. Not too big like I thought, although the footprint on my nightstand is larger than my previous dock, the Elevation Labs dock. And the Apple Dock is N-I-C-E. Very luxe. So as often happens, after seeing it in person I bought it.

It's solid. Heavy. Feels like it was made from a block of metal, not hollow or cheap. Nice suede bottom to keep it from slipping or sliding. And the top where the watch sits is also a suede-feeling layer of material. Not at all spongy or mushy. It's definitely solid. The base won't slip on a smooth surface and the watch won't slip off the stand or get scratched. Pretty nifty piece of engineering - elegant in it's simplicity. The charging plate is permanently attached, flipping up or down flush with the top of the base if you want to charge your watch laying flat. And Apple includes a long lightning cable to attach to an a/c adapter, but the adapter is not included. I have half a dozen of them lying around so it's not an issue for me.

Yes, it's pricy. But the quality is off the chart. Cheaper docks will accomplish the same thing, but they are exactly that; cheaper. I highly recommend the new Apple Watch Dock.

Reactions: CarlJ and gman36

gman36

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2015
San Diego, CA
Ok, I have softened on my negativity towards the Apple Watch Dock. I looked at it in person at the Apple Store and it's pretty sweet. Not too big like I thought, although the footprint on my nightstand is larger than my previous dock, the Elevation Labs dock. And the Apple Dock is N-I-C-E. Very luxe. So as often happens, after seeing it in person I bought it.

It's solid. Heavy. Feels like it was made from a block of metal, not hollow or cheap. Nice suede bottom to keep it from slipping or sliding. And the top where the watch sits is also a suede-feeling layer of material. Not at all spongy or mushy. It's definitely solid. The base won't slip on a smooth surface and the watch won't slip off the stand or get scratched. Pretty nifty piece of engineering - elegant in it's simplicity. The charging plate is permanently attached, flipping up or down flush with the top of the base if you want to charge your watch laying flat. And Apple includes a long lightning cable to attach to an a/c adapter, but the adapter is not included. I have half a dozen of them lying around so it's not an issue for me.

Yes, it's pricy. But the quality is off the chart. Cheaper docks will accomplish the same thing, but they are exactly that; cheaper. I highly recommend the new Apple Watch Dock.

Annnnnnd im sold.

Reactions: Classic Buckle

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
Here's some quick pics of the Apple Watch Dock on my nightstand organizer:

AWD - 1.jpg AWD - 2.jpg AWD - 3.jpg

I stuck my hand into the last pic for scale. As you can see, it's too big to hide in your hand but it's no bigger than your average coaster for drinks.

gman36

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2015
San Diego, CA
Maybe the next gen will have color options. It would look nice in a brown leather color like the Apple Brown Leather iPhone cases. There may be an opportunity for someone to make leather slip-on covers for the dock.

Im thinking just dunk it in some black rit dye. Did the apply store have it on display? Or how did you get to see it before purchase?

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
Im thinking just dunk it in some black rit dye. Did the apply store have it on display? Or how did you get to see it before purchase?
They just put one out as a demo. As I walked into the store they were actually setting it up to show some folks.

jasie02

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
Someone has better imagination than me.
I thought Apple AW dock look like UFO, but someone else think....
image.jpeg

Reactions: rambo47

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
I wasn't talking about UFO white color. I was talking about 4 color in iPhone 6s docks, and translated to 4+2 colors into AW docks.

Let me say it one last time, hope you understand following sentence, and let me know any word in following sentence you have difficulty understand.
"I DON'T CARE ABOUT APPLE UFO"
If anyone don't care about "it", it is likely they were not talking about "it".

so how would this imaginary apple watch "dock" look if not like the "UFO"?

you need to understand, your idea is quite unfeasible.

look at the title of this thread, in particular - apple will not sell something for the watch where metal comes into contact with metal. the link bracelet WILL scratch if it is put on a metal dock in this way. and the link bracelet can be sized so differently (from 135mm in circumference right up to 245mm in circumference) that any rubber base to protect it would make up the majority of the surface of the dock...

Someone has better imagination than me.

we know.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008

Karnicopia

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2015
Wish it was black. Looks cool though. I have the sena dock and really love it so Apple would have to make this black for me to budge. Looks interesting though for sure!

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
It's still better looking than apples flying saucer

I beg to differ. The first time I saw the picture of Apple Stand on Tumblr I couldn't believe my eyes. I thought it's the perfect dock and tried to find who made it or is it just some sort of conceptual demo but the tagline #dock wasn't helpful. Any dock that got me excited from first sight is extremely well designed.
Your post tells more about your artistic taste than Apple's.

Reactions: CarlJ

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
how easy is it to flick the charging puck up? do you have to lift the dock and poke it from underneath?
The puck is flush with the dock when in the down position so yes, you have to lift it to push it up with a finger to bring it to the vertical position.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

Good to hear from someone who actually owns this thing. In my Twitter feed I saw a tweet from an industrial designer (who has a site where he's blogged about Apple's manufacturing processes before) knocking this thing for looking cheap as if Apple didn't put much effort into it. This reminds me a bit of the Apple Watch packaging. You see the box and don't think much of it because it's just white plastic but then you get one and feel the heft and realize this isn't cheap anything.

Reactions: CarlJ

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
The puck is flush with the dock when in the down position so yes, you have to lift it to push it up with a finger to bring it to the vertical position.

if you have an open band (sports band or classic buckle, etc.) can you lay it flat, catch the magnet then tilt it up or does that not work? :)

jasie02

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
Good to hear from someone who actually owns this thing. In my Twitter feed I saw a tweet from an industrial designer (who has a site where he's blogged about Apple's manufacturing processes before) knocking this thing for looking cheap as if Apple didn't put much effort into it. This reminds me a bit of the Apple Watch packaging. You see the box and don't think much of it because it's just white plastic but then you get one and feel the heft and realize this isn't cheap anything.

I think the problem is the shape, and the extra edge around it.
All other Apple design has always been smooth on the edge, unless there is good reason, that extra lip around it is just not looking good.
For the shape, I could understand where is come from, just look at their new building, they are obsessed with UFO, just not sure they need to transfer their obsession to their product design and to their customer.

Apple Building.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.