New Watch with Phone every year? Or why I bought the Cheapest model.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Vin2015, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Vin2015 macrumors member

So my friend asked me why I bought the SG Sport model and not a nice SS model, and my reason was, that these watches are "disposable". I'm assuming the Apple model for the watch will follow the phone/ipad route. New updated model every year, and more than likely most of us will, just like we do with the phone, be getting a new one.

Why pay a couple hundred more for an item that has the same internal specs, when I know in less than 365 days, I'm going to be getting a new one. The reason I don't get the cheapest iPhone is because of storage, but if they made an aluminum and SS iPhone and the only difference was the case material and price, I would buy the cheapest iPhone.

Was this anyone else's reasoning?

2. mbushnell macrumors member

I do not believe they will release a new watch every year like they do with the iPhone/iPads.

3. H3rman macrumors 6502

I change my phone every 2 years (never go for the "S" models). So will probably do the same with the watch. I bought the stainless steel. My thinking is if I put aside £1 a day for 2 years that's £730 for a new watch in 2 years time. I can also sell my SS one on eBay and get something back for it (probably not that much though). Or I can do what I do with all my old phones and give them to my mum. She's currently using my old iPhone 5

4. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

The complete opposite actually

I personally thought the stainless steel, sapphire watch face, and ceramic back was worth it. If I'm going to buy a pricey watch, I didn't want it to look like a tech gadget on my wrist. Which the sg aluminum looks like IMO.

I never buy merchandise thinking of the resale value

But that's me, other users will vary

5. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

It's something I will wear everyday so there's no way I will compromise. I'll buy the model I like irrespective of price. Fortunately for me what I like is not the most expensive model. :)

6. Vin2015 thread starter macrumors member

I can't see why they wouldn't update the phone every year. Why sell only 1 product when you can sell two.

You don't think within 12-16 months, there will not be a watch with better specs and battery life, I'm willing to bet iWatch 2.0 is already being tested. 26 hour battery life, maybe a FT camera? Definitely a OS update.

7. seamor0512 macrumors member

they very well may sell a new unit in a year, or less. But, the cost will go down because they will sell stand alone watches as the bands will be compatible for a few years until they overhaul the design . In which case, if we choose to upgrade we can also just sell the unit and keep our bands. Just my guess, and hope I suppose.

8. Vin2015 thread starter macrumors member

I just see it as why spend 1000 on a watch I'm going to toss away in a year or two max, when I can get the same one that isn't as shiny for half the price.

----------

They are not going to ever lower the price, if they lower the price it would degrade the brand. They next few years the watch may keep the same aesthetics, and you may be able to buy the watch as a stand alone item, but they will raise the price because of the new specs.

I definitely wouldn't put it pass apple to change the design and make the straps obsolete, they have shown time and time again, they have no issue with making all our spare accessories last years junk.

9. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

In Florida the aluminum would of been $425
    The stainless steel came to $640

I'm ok with a few hundred dollars more for better materials used

If I'm going to buy a watch, I wanted it to look like a watch

More band options also was a selling point - can't wait for 3rd party stainless steel bands

10. tigerinexile macrumors newbie

I go back and forth.

Bought the stainless steel because I wanted a sapphire screen. I'd probably recommend to friends that they buy the sport, as there's no increase in functionality. Also am interested more in the fitness applications than when I ordered, and that means a lighter one is useful.

I think I won't be as quick to upgrade the watch as I am phones. Think it's more like an iPad. I keep those for a few years, whereas I tend to upgrade phones annually.

11. listenclose macrumors member

I have an iPad 2 and air with no desire to upgrade any time soon. The watch will probably last me three years before I upgrade. I just hope my link bracelet still fits.

12. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

I believe they will produce a new version every year, and this is based on Ive's comment at the Luxury conference recently. When asked directly if the watch will be updated every year, which is contrary to classic watches that are meant to age, he somewhat side stepped the comment and said that the two are not at all the same. That you can't compare something that can grow in functionality over time against something that is more of a collector item. You can watch the video if you want, but to me this says that there will be a new one every year. Which he is probably working on right now.

Also though I'm looking at the watch similar to an iPad. An iPad can last someone many years and is not something that the majority of the people upgrade every year.

13. Vin2015 thread starter macrumors member

I can see people being more iPad centric with this item, but while I was tempted by the ceramic back and sapphire glad(I am a watch guy after all), for this item which has no longevity past a few years, I just saw no use in paying a few hundred more for case material.

For those who are planning to keep the watch a few years, the aluminum will hold up much better than the SS as far as looks go. SS is gonna scratch on everything, where the Aluminum will be far far less prone to showing use.

The exception being the DLC coated SS, that thing is super tough.

14. LIOC macrumors member

LIOC

I had a similar reasoning.

Apple seem to produce vastly superior second gen products. I figure why spend more on a product that will no doubt be vastly improved in a 1 year or 2.

Also I have never worn a smart watch, I may end up not liking them at all

15. Alith macrumors 6502

16. iTom17 macrumors 6502a

iTom17

I am getting the idea Apple will go the 'iPod touch way' with the Apple Watch. In other terms, this could mean every two years a new model will be announced. Keep in mind that Apple considers the Watch as a fashion object. And fashion objects should last quite long. Not just a year.

17. Vin2015 thread starter macrumors member

I'm sure the fashion term is more used in advertising to give the watch market appeal and to justify the price, and not a term used to dictate their plans for it.

18. Pupi macrumors regular

Pupi

iPod touch was yearly through the iPod touch 1, 2, 3, 4. Only then started slowing down. Because as a product line it was losing importance. The 4 lasted 2 years. iPod touch 5 is already going for 3.

The same happened to other iPods, for example the nano.

The market for mp3 players, even if smart, suffered a massive shrinkage due to with the smartphone.

So it would be a bad sign if the Apple went that route with the Watch.

19. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

For me the extra $200 was well worth it. I may still get one every year especially if bands continue to be interchangeable for year to year. My watch will have a decent resale value and I'll just continue to buy SS models.

Or I may be happy enough with this watch that I don't feel the need to upgrade it every year like I currently do with my iPhone.

20. Vin2015 thread starter macrumors member

Really? Keep telling yourself that.:D

Can I ask why you update your phone every year, if the one you have you're happy with.

21. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I agree and was of the same thought process. Maybe if Apple had announce some sort of upgrade path or trade-in program I might have give the SS SB a thought, but I'm very happy saving the extra $ and weight with the Sport SG, especially on an unknown product with limited life.

And anyone who doesn't think the AW won't be updated annually, I'd love to know the reasons. It seems to me much of the watch is predicated on its sensors and technology is going to advance enough to require an upgrade just as the iPhone's camera needs boosting. Plus all the sensors that were left out of this version because Apple couldn't perfect them in time. I don't think this Gen 1 AW is anywhere near mature where Apple could skip a year like an iPod.

22. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

There were a few well reasoned reviews that were suggesting not to expect yearly updates on the watch… I wish I could find the links. In any case, this first batch of preorders isn't going to be fully flushed until almost September, which would really piss off a lot of people if they then announced version 2 at the one-year anniversary of the intro. We are also paying a premium for the bands that come with the watch, so I can see that complicating the process of updating the body. Lastly, because the watch is not subsidized through a phone plan, they're going to find more inertia getting people to upgrade on a regular basis (which I am sure they know). Personally I'm thinking the watch will update every other cycle, so every two years.

23. ianrip macrumors 6502

ianrip

work:Oyu Tolgio, Home:LOS, From Scotland G15
    Thats the main reason to release a new version every 12-18 months.

If they leave it any longer the perception of the :apple:watch will not be as ground breaking or world leading etc.

PS I bought a sport 42 blue as its 1st Gen,,my next watch will be an SS

24. Esoom macrumors 6502

Esoom

It'll be interesting to see what Apple does. I think we'll see yearly updates, the tech will evolve quickly, no sense in letting the rest of the sector kick your ass for a year.

25. mbushnell macrumors member

There's only so much they can do in regard to sensors before the FCC/FDA gets involved. At some point it will cross the line into being a "medical device" and would be regulated.

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Medica...ivery&utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery