Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DanneDJ

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2019
It looks like there will be new watchfaces for Nike and Hermes. Is there a new watchos in the making?

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Every year there is a new WatchOS with smaller incremental x.x, x.x.x updates throughout the year.

WatchOS 6.2 GM was just released to developers.

edhchoe

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2011
I have been waiting for a Modular face with second showing for the last decade.

shakopeemn

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2014
Apple knows that watch faces are why people may buy the new model. They typically enable them on the new models only.

jags828

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2013
Pretty sure they added the new spring bands as colors to choose from (Surf Blue, Cactus, and the rest)

Reactions: MJ22

FenC

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2016
Wellington, New Zealand
Well we haven't had any new faces for the standard edition of the S5.
There aren't any new faces for Hermes (nor Nike so far as I am aware) either. There are new colours reflecting the new bands, so the standard S5 has Surf Blue, Cactus and Grapefruit available now. Hermes has Blanc and Blanc/Noir (I assume they are named in French but I haven't checked), and I expect Nike has Midnight Turquoise and Lime Blast. What new hardware did you think was just released that Apple wants you to buy so you could have new faces? If you have a standard S5 then you have the newest available.

When actual new faces were launched with the S5 (Meridian and California - I think others that I don't use personally) the S4 did get them. The S3 and earlier didn't get the new S4 faces like Infograph when they launched because they don't fit on the smaller screen.

Apple is actually very good at trickling down new features to old hardware - unless the old hardware can't support the new feature then it gets the new feature.

Reactions: Agile55 and MJ22

ledzepfan1981

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2015
No, you didn’t; fair comment. I think I (incorrectly) thought you were suggesting Apple is releasing goodies that are only available to buyers of new hardware, so I apologise for that.

No problem. I just seem to remember that when the S4 came out, we got the Infograph faces. But can't remember any new faces for the standard edition of the S5. I may be wrong though.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Apple knows that watch faces are why people may buy the new model. They typically enable them on the new models only.

You’re correct. When Apple hosts their keynotes, if you look closely, they spend at least half of the watch keynote portion on the watch face Upgrades/improvements, they do that if they can attract a demographic that’s interested in upgrading, specifically for those watch faces, that gives them more of incentive to do so.

Personally, I think the watch faces are unique enough where Apple really has expanded on them considerably since the Series 3 Apple Watch, they’ve become more dynamic, but in the same respect, more customizable with the ‘complications’.

FenC

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2016
Wellington, New Zealand
You’re correct. When Apple hosts their keynotes, if you look closely, they spend at least half of the watch keynote portion on the watch face Upgrades/improvements, they do that if they can attract a demographic that’s interested in upgrading, specifically for those watch faces, that gives them more of incentive to do so.

Personally, I think the watch faces are unique enough where Apple really has expanded on them considerably since the Series 3 Apple Watch, they’ve become more dynamic, but in the same respect, more customizable with the ‘complications’.
Are you for real? Every post is just BS. Apple used California and Meridian to promote the S5, and the S4 got both.

Everything you post is rubbish. Relentless nonsense more like?

FenC

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2016
Wellington, New Zealand
When the S4 launched Apple used Infograph, which needs the bigger screen, so of course earlier models didn’t get that. It was used to showcase the information the bigger screen could display.

For the S3 they used Explorer which needs LTE, so earlier models didn’t get that. It was used to showcase LTE.

In every other case, when a new face is compatible with earlier hardware, all capable watches have got the new face.

Totally the opposite of what you are saying here.
[automerge]1585463714[/automerge]
No problem. I just seem to remember that when the S4 came out, we got the Infograph faces. But can't remember any new faces for the standard edition of the S5. I may be wrong though.
S5 got California, Meridian, Modular Compact, Gradient and some Numerals ones. S4 got them also though, as it has the required hardware to run them.

You never need to upgrade to get the new faces unless they are linked to hardware the older Watch doesn’t have.

That’s one of the unusual things about Apple; they fully support their older kit with all the new features it’s capable of running. The S1 Watch from 2016 runs WatchOS6 with all the new features it supports. That’s waaaay better than the OS it came with when it was new.

Last edited:

D3ggy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2019
I just wish they would make a tool to allow you to build your own faces. They could even make it so you can’t share them if they are worried about copy right issues as people copy famous brands.

Reactions: ledzepfan1981
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.