New WD Hard Drive in Mac Pro - Please help fix!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MacProUser4, Mar 23, 2010.

1. MacProUser4 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a Mac Pro that I bought in March of 2008 (refurbished form Apple). Last week I bought a new internal hard drive for it (Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB Hard Drive SATA3G / 7200 / 32 MB. (My original hard drive is 250GB SATAT 3G / 7200 rpm / 8 MB.)

I installed it in bay 2 and successfully formatted it. Ever since it has been in the computer, I hear loud buzzing sounds coming from it. They grow louder and then die away (it takes about 5 seconds for this cycle to happen). This cycle then repeats itself about every 30 seconds. Sometimes the buzzing cycles will get quieter and quieter until they stop all together, and then will start back up again. There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to why this happens. Does anyone know what may be going on or if this is a defective drive and I should return it? Any help is greatly appreciated!!! Thank you so much!

2. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

You have not tightened the sled screws enough.

3. MacProUser4 thread starter macrumors newbie

Further question...

Thank you for your help, I thought this may be a possibility. I have heard that the noise may be caused by a clash from the sled of bays one and two (my old and new hard drives). Can I install the drive in bay 3 to eliminate the noise? This does not sounds like it is a defective hard drive correct?

Thank you!!!

4. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

naah, its not a defective drive. When i had my mac pro loaded up with 5 drives it had a similar vibration oscillation. Moving the drive to another drive bay will help. Try putting one in the front (bay 1) and one in the back (bay 4). I have no vibration problems after switching to only 3 drives, i keep two matching 500gb drives in bays 3 & 4 and a 1.5tb backup in the extra optical bay. I keep the main drives in the back of the computer to keep the noise from coming directly out the front.

One quick question, are you pleased with the WD black 1tb? that will be my next drive should I have some spare cash soon.

5. maghemi macrumors 6502

Are the WD black drives noisy as a rule? as in create lots of vibrations?

I find it strange that it can create oscillation vibration noise.

I've currently got two WD 300gb Raptors and two 1tb WD greens in my machine and I can't even hear the 10k raptors making a noise.

Perhaps the 'soft' washers are a bit hard on your sleds allowing more noise transfer.

6. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

Hello.

I've been using the 1TB Caviar Black in my Mac Pro 1.1 since the Black drive first came out, replacing the original 250GB.

The Caviar Black has always been in Bay 1, though it served briefly in Bay 2 alongside the original 250GB. It's never "vibrated" noticeably, though it does make a fair bit of "seek" noise, which is normal for this drive.
    The seek noise isn't a lot louder than the original 250GB drive.
    "seek" noise is characterized by a series of rapid clicks when the drive is reading or writing data.

If you press gently on the drive or on the case does the noise go away?
    If so, you have a resonance condition that may stop in a different drive Bay.

If Bay 3 or 4 are empty, by all means try them. OSX will find the drive with no issues.

If you're using the Caviar Black as your boot drive, Bay 1 is the expected place to put it though it shouldn't really matter. If you're booting from the Caviar Black and just using the original 250GB for storage, go right ahead and switch them.

If gently pressing on the drive or switching bays has no effect and you think that it might be "seek" noise, the drive can be set for quieter operation by turning on the AAM (Automatic Acoustic Management). This slows down the "seek" times however.

Currently I have 4 drives inside, a 1TB Black for OSX, a 750GB Black for Windows and two 500GB Hitachis in RAID.
    Other than some "seek" noise from the Blacks, the drives run silently.

When mounting the drive to its caddy, make sure to use all four of the original Apple-supplied screws that came with the caddy without any sort of washer or shim.
    Examine the original Drive/Caddy in Bay 1 for reference.
    The screws must not contact the chassis and the drive must be in the correct position to avoid damaging the connector or causing vibrations.

Good Luck,
    Keri

7. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

FYI you can reduce the seek noise a TON by running WinAAM (under XP only) or HDPARM to put the drive in to a low noise mode. It reduces performance a bit, but not noticeable in every day use. I record up to 16 channels of audio at a time with no issues.

8. MacProUser4 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!!!

Hi everyone!

I moved it to bay 4 and the noise is gone! Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it!

9. gotzero macrumors 68040

Something was probably just not in the bay correctly, a screw or the sled itself. I have mine all packed full of drives and never hear a peep. Anyway, I am glad you figured it out!