New WD My Passport Studio 500GB

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by brentsg, Dec 6, 2008.

1. brentsg macrumors 68030

I just picked up one of these drives, as I already own the My Passport Essential 500GB unit. It's such a nice little portable drive that I had to buy the Firewire 800 version for my Mac.

Much to my surprise, the Studio is significantly larger than the Essential version. In fact the thickness is about 20% greater, and the other two dimensions are slightly larger as well.

It's not a huge deal, but I was quite surprised. Anyone know why it's larger? Is it just to make room for the firewire components?

2. drumfrog14 Guest

Just picked one up myself. I'm guessing it's thick because it may have another plate... some of the smaller drives can get by with 1-2, while the 500 GB might have 3.

Another concern of mine: does your slide-cover (w/ LEDs) stay in place? Mine is easily pwned by gravity and its own super slick surface. Slides around like crazy. Anyone else have this problem? :confused:

3. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

Agree it's a shame about the thickness. Nice to see them supporting FW though.

4. brentsg thread starter macrumors 68030

It's not that. The USB only versions of the same drive are much thinner, but they are also 500GB.

5. kneep macrumors newbie

Got mine today and have the same problem with the cover slider...it will not stay in its position left or right :( Someone has an solution for this problem?