New webcam or Mic?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by thumb, Jun 11, 2009.

1. thumb macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I got my mother a webcam (the MS live 360 thing) for her iMac, which worked great until her iMac crapped out.

Now she has a new mac mini, and of course, she no longer has a mic (none on mini, none on that webcam).

What would you suggest? a new webcam with mic (specific model please)? or an external mic (again something specific if you can)?

we are looking for simplicity, reliability, and affordability.

many many thanks. my 2 year old daughter is very concerned that grandma can no longer talk.

2. PrincessPeach macrumors regular

I use a Hue HD webcam which meets both requirements. The mic is clear and works well for me with Skype and gaming voice chat apps.

I bought mine from Amazon UK but I'm sure they exist on other stores.

Be careful buying a plain microphone as a lot of the basic jack types don't work with Macs; check it explicitly says it is Mac compatible. The Hue webcam is USB and has a built in microphone (I'm sure a few other webcams do as well) so I find it the simple option.

3. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

logitech sells a usb microphone for 20 or 30 dollars and its one of the best sounding mics I have ever used very clear! as a rule of thumb all webcam mics suck