New website! Critique?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by geekindisguise, Jun 25, 2009.

1. geekindisguise macrumors 6502

geekindisguise

I made my new webite which is supposed to be for my blog, my photography, and my portfolio of web designs. I just want to know what you all think about it.
    http://jakes.is-a-geek.com/

2. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Righty, not sunk my teeth into a website critique for a while ... All views personal, so take or leave :) In no particular order:

Design:
    • Justified text on home is bad for readability & your line lengths are too long.
    • Contrast of grey text on all backgrounds is too little on homepage and horrible looking on the coloured backgrounds. Maybe ramp up the darkness on the homepage and use white instead on the coloured background. Or... don't use such bold background colours - they are very bold.
    • Quite like your navigation icons, but there's no way back to the homepage.
    • Bright green links on green background a bit garish.
    • Search bar out of place in blog, consider moving to top right of blue box? Or remove? Seems inconsistent not to have it on other pages too. Also, on a 1024x768px resolution, your search bar interferes with the 'blog' navigation icon.
    • Comment numbers on the blog throw the pages off balance and are unnecessarily large. Consider moving inside the box?
    • Photographs are generally nice :) Not sure they are shown to their best ability on a dark red background though & the 2 columns aren't centred on the page.
    • Portfolio page shouldn't put down the items "Nothing much, but...". The arrangement of items is a little off-putting. Anything wrong with simple thumbnails on the left, description on the right?

Code:
    • Well done for not using tables! But validate your code, it's got a few errors which could easily be resolved.
    • JakesTech | Welcome is the title for every page apart from the blog section. Making this relevant to the current page will make it far more SEO friendly.

Think that's all from me for the mo...

Overall though, not half bad for a 13 year old! Keep up the good work - you've got loads of time to improve ;)

3. besler3035 macrumors 6502a

I concur, work on that home page though...there's not enough interest there.