New website redesign

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Miltz, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Miltz macrumors 6502

Based on various input I received on my website, I did a complete redesign and layout. Thank you to everyone who gave me input in this forum. I appreciate it.:D (sorry it took so long)

www.miltonphotography.com

Please let me know what you think.

2. alex.m90 macrumors member

Looks pretty good, its a very straight forward/simple design so there isn't much to critique. Pictures are very decent!

It behaves quite strangely when the window is quite narrow (iPhone width), and the dreaded horizontal scroll bar appears. Would probably be a simple fix but the source code is very bloated so I'm guessing it wasn't written from scratch but rather with some sort of software.

3. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

The only thing I could really comment on is the fading of your buttons. If there is no movement for a couple of seconds, all your buttons fade out. Yes they reappear with a simple movement of the mouse. Considering one of them is your Buy option. I think I would not want that to fade out after a few seconds. The point of your site is to sell prints and Giclées, so the Buy button, to me, becomes a key point.

I would limit the amount of photos you put on the home page. You do not need to put so many photos. People with slow download times will struggle to load your site. I have good download speeds and it still took several seconds for your site to download. That is purely due to all the photos.

You checkout is clear and concise. Easy to use. People will appreciate that. Pictures are awesome. Colors and simplicity are great.

4. Miltz thread starter macrumors 6502

5. blaster_boy macrumors 6502

blaster_boy

Hi there,

Very nice pictures !

One thing that I didn't immediately see were your contact details on your frontpage. They do get shown for a microsecond and then disappear (to the bottom of your page, after the pictures). So you need to scroll all the way to the bottom to find it (and scroll again, as more pictures are loaded).

I would put your contact details available on the top of your page as well, perhaps smaller or as an icon, as they would be useful for people who are looking to contact you and are not first-time customers that need to be wowed.

The 'browse' is strange on the very first page, when you can already browse the pictures there. You actually have a frontpage with browsable pictures plus a gallery on the second page (for which the browse link is actually for). Plus when you click on a picture you get a detail, but when you close the detail you are no longer on the original page but on the gallery page.

That confused me for a second.

Also, personally, some information on the picture would be nice as well. There are a few pics that made me wonder where you took them. Location, keywords would be useful.

Can you search pictures by keywords or filter them ? I would only like to see farm vehicles, for example, or only landscapes... can't find it.

Hope I haven't discouraged you, the site is certainly nice enough, I'm thinking more "user experience".

6. Miltz thread starter macrumors 6502

Of course not, you've made some valid points. I agree, I need to work on the contact part asap. Thank you.

7. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

Just going to drop by and say you have some beautiful photos and I also agree with one of the above posters that mentioned that you should move the contact details upwards.

8. Miltz thread starter macrumors 6502

9. slayerizer macrumors 6502a

slayerizer

I'm not sure I like the layout but you have great pictures! The main page is very heavy, it would take a long time to load on a slow connection. I usually expect categories when browsing a picture heavy site.

The menu would be of better use if it was below your site header. When scrolling up, the user may not notice the menu above the title since it's a little non-standard. It doesn't have to be standard but you normally want to go easy some users.

My 0.02$

10. Miltz thread starter macrumors 6502

Well my goal is for someone who enters my site to be exposed to as many pictures as possible with the fewest clicks. You'd be surprised how lazy people are, or how quickly they lose interest. I am considering grouping the images, I'm just not sure I have enough similar images. It's a work in progress..

11. macmesser macrumors 6502a

First off, props for some stunning images. Masterful use of HDR. Great compositions and choice of environment for mood.

"A emotional level" should be "an emotional level" in your banner statement. Not a big deal but some viewers will register a little dissonance. Overall idea of site is good, IMO. Black fits somewhat otherworldly mood of your images (e.g. park benches at night) and sets off their HDR colors, providing a little drama but in keeping with visual simplicity the site is aiming at. What were you thinking when you made the "My gallery" page with the endless scroll?

12. Zab the Fab macrumors member

I like it. Simple, a focus on the topic (photos) rather than on website decoration.
    Why 'Home' showing photos and then also 'Browse' [photos] ?

It seems like overlapping to me?

In total a very nice site, which leaves the user with an overview. And the photos are truly magnificent!

13. Miltz thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you!

----------

I'm glad you liked my HDR... What was I thinking with the endless scroll?...lol Well it wanted to try something different, and so far I really like it.

14. Leon William macrumors newbie

The design was very good. But the website may annoy some users because of the long scrolling. If you make the navigation tab instead of scrolling it will be fine.