New Website..some advice on image sizes...

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by HBOC, Feb 25, 2010.

1. HBOC macrumors 68020

Ok, I have been working on my website the last 3 or 4 days. This is a project, and I have not purchased a host or anything yet.

My problem I am having right now is with images. What settings should i use to get the highest quality JPEGs? All these images are from either TIFF (already converted from CR2 via the Canon DPP software) or CR2s. I set the resolution at 350ppi, and then resize to 700 x 4xx (700 on the long side, obviously this depends on if the photo is horizontal or verticle)..

The images look really soft. I use smart sharpen. I went back over some images and got a lot better results, but some are still soft. I originally had the images set to 400x272 (automatic constraint in PS) because my gallery is set to 300x250. I have since changed the "hover preview" to 350x300.

Another thing is how can i get the "hover" to NOT compress? Example; if i have an image that is horizontal and i put in a photo that is vertical, it will conform to the settings i have and distort the image. I am sorry if this makes no sense. I am in school for web design and interactive media, so i am still learning.. I don't know the lingo yet, i guess. I did include screen shots, if that helps...

In the photos, you can see i had to code separate pages so the images would view properly, ie; horizontal and vertical composures..

The PS captures shows the ppi that i use and some shots are still soft..

Attached Files:

• sn1.png
      sn1.png
      File size:
      412.2 KB
      Views:
    • sn2.png
      sn2.png
      File size:
      481.1 KB
      Views:
    • sn3.png