new white back plate from ebay - please help me choose

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by V4705, Feb 6, 2010.

1. V4705 macrumors 6502

hi,
    my back of the phone scratches after a while and i'm looking for a new one (not a case or a cover, just a back plate).

i got a black iphone but i'm sick of all that fingerprints so i think to try the white one.

a. is it complicated to disassemble? should i disconnect the pcb/screen and staff to disconnect the original backplate?

b. what tools i need to use to make it easier?

c. i didn't find original backplate, anyone try the alternative from china? it's feel and look like the original or much cheaper?

btw, if its not the right forum please move it for me, i didn't knew where to ask that.

many many thanks.

2. gunzmaiet macrumors regular

you just unscrew the screws by the speaker hole at the bottom and get a suction cup to separate the back from the rest and put in a new back

you could try non apple back plates but some might not work

3. gothamm macrumors 6502a

good topic. I am wondering the same thing.

covers take all the sexiness out of the phone. Any way to replace the back cover once its totally scratched up?

4. Knolly macrumors 6502a

It's not fast nor easy. Take your time and be careful and you should be fine though. Don't force ANYTHING.

5. V4705 thread starter macrumors 6502

thank you all,
    what about:
    there is an original one on ebay?
    if not, how can i choose "the best"? i don't know to identify any differences between them.

6. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

2 things.....

1. if you dont know what you are doing do not do this!! you will mess up your iPhone. the average person cannot change the back it is not as simple as 2 screws and a suction cup.

2. do not buy the aftermarket or non OEM backs. they dont have all of the wholes drilled in them plus they are a cheap plastic. you should jut use a snapon cover if you are going to buy the china one! a real apple back will cost you $30+ dollars. you should have a repair shop install it for you.that will cost you $40-$60 in labor depending on who you send you phone to. and dont let a buddy try it just because his dad is a tv repair man and he has tools!!