New White MacBook for Gaming

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Wicked1, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Can you run Oblivion on the new White MB with XP 32-bit or Vista 32-Bit without any issues, assuming your MB has 4 GB of ram even though Bootcamp will not use the 4 GB?

My son is looking at getting the White MB and the only game he cares about is Oblivion and COD 4 & 5

2. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

I've read on various forums that you can play games on a macbook with windows, not entirely sure on which versions of windows (86 or 62).

3. Striker-UMB macrumors regular

Yes the new MacBook has the nvidia 320M integrated graphics chip so it will run Call of duty 4, oblivion, Modern Warefare 2 and Black Ops no problem(he may have to lower the settings down a bit with black ops but nothing to drastic. And your right about the 4gigs of ram that will be perfect for gaming, but windows vista 32 bit won't reconize 4 gigs of ram unless you have 64 bit installed. But I think bootcamp only will recognize 2-2.5 gigs for some reason, but that still will be enough.

4. happle macrumors 6502a

it will run it but in my experience macbooks are no gaming laptops. more focused toward audio/video editing, and not even a ton of video editing at that.

5. akhbhaat macrumors regular

"Gaming laptop" is still an oxymoron, in my opinion. A proper gaming GPU consumes a lot of power and puts out a lot of heat, and those two characteristics are seriously detrimental within the context of a mobile platform. As such, even the most powerful mobile GPUs are considered middle tier by desktop standards.

That said, the 320M is a decent chip and will handle almost any game that's at least 3 or 4 years old pretty comfortably. I have found, however, that gaming in Windows (with boot camp) is still a substantially better experience than doing the same with OSX...and truth be told, there are better options for the money when it comes to raw gaming performance.

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Not the best for gaming. An iMac or a PC would be more ideal :)

7. No ice please macrumors 6502

I second this, you would get a heck of a lot more performance out of a base-line imac then a white macbook.

8. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Or a 15" i5 if money isn't a problem & you want portability.