New white Macbook, help

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iPunish901, Feb 5, 2009.

1. iPunish901 macrumors 6502

iPunish901

So I recently purchased the white MacBook, January 25th to be exact, and I did not realize apple was updating the specs. So the MacBook that I have is the older version, not the recently updated one. I called and asked if I could switch my MacBook out since I bought it two days before the update, they said yes. I get to the store and they tell me I must pay a restocking fee. Now I wouldn't be upset if I was told this over the phone, but I asked if I would be charged and they said no. My question is, is the restocking fee worth getting my MacBook switched to the updated version?

I probably would have paid it if I had the cash on me. But it's a long drive back, so now I'm wondering if the trouble is worth it.

2. jshelton macrumors 6502a

How much is it? 15%, right?
    It depends on what you will be using the Macbook for? The graphics card was the only update (correct me if I'm wrong). I personally would not pay $150 for the graphics update. I have no use for it though.

Look at resale also. If you plan on selling and buying another MB within a year or so, the updated MB will hold it's value a little longer.

3. rust.puppet macrumors regular

it's deffinately worth the trouble, 10% restock is 99$ or whatever 104 after taxes, but the specs are completely worth it, the new gfx card is well over 100$ in worth and your laptop will be more compatible with snow leopard when it releases.

it sucks they didnt tell you that but it really is the deal of a lifetime in my eyes.

4. rust.puppet macrumors regular

they added more, im just not 100% on what off the top of my head.

5. tom. macrumors 6502

tom.

Within 30 days do you not have the right to your money back? I am not sure about the laws in the US. You could always push for a refund and return the next day and buy a new one! Remember to push them into it, a retailer will always say no if you only ask once politely!

If that isn't possible, i would highly recommend the restocking option. $99 is nothing for the upgrades youll be getting.

6. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

1067 fsb 2.0 c2d vs the previous 800 fsb 2.1 c2d

7. svndmvn Guest

The graphics aren't the only upgrade, the FSB is too since the whole chipset is new/processor etc. Yes, it's worth the fee. BTW, if you hadn't opened the box, I believe you shouldn't have had to pay anything, but since you probably have, it's different and it did happen that they swapped no question asked..
    EDIT: 2gb of ram instead of 1, I believe, as well, and that alone is worth it:)

8. jshelton macrumors 6502a

Just ask them nicely to consider waiving the restocking fee. If they don't comply, release a swarm of mosquitoes inside the Apple Store. Then they'll listen...

9. iPunish901 thread starter macrumors 6502

iPunish901

10. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

Yes you do, if the mac is unopened. If you return it they still have to try and sell it, so the restocking fee covers the refurb price or something like that, i guess. It makes perfect sense and is completely reasonable.

And to the OP, yes I'd say it is worth it. A lot of the specs are bumped up and would make the computer last longer.

It could have been avoidable had you waited, but hey, it's no biggie.

11. acurafan macrumors 6502a

that's BS, talk to the manager. my battery fitment was out of wack and they replaced my white macbook (the new revision w/gfx card) battery the next day - no questions asked.

i also said if i needed to upgrade to the 2.0 Aluminum, they would not charge me the restocking fee. this is the 5th Ave Manhattan store in NYC - YMMV. never had the old macbook, so i can't tell you if it's worth it.

12. jshelton macrumors 6502a

$89 is a different story. I was incorrect on the updates. Apparently there were other additions that I wasn't aware of. Going with the advice of these guys, I might actually consider paying it.

Although, I would seriously try to get them to reconsider the restocking fee. Apple employees are generally pretty understanding and helpful. Worth a shot...

13. iPunish901 thread starter macrumors 6502

iPunish901

I know it could have been avoided. I didn't do my homework and just went and bought it cause my last laptop was a piece....

If I knew the update was coming, I wouldn't have jumped the gun

14. JoeDRC macrumors 6502

It was a silent update, most people on here were quite surprised by it

15. gixxerredliner macrumors regular

gixxerredliner

Ok

Best thing to say is, i would like a refund because i want to purchase the upgraded mac but you are telling me i have to pay a restocking fee so just refund me the money and i will purchase the mac at a completly different store. that usually works :) stores cant afford to loose sales in this recession, how bad do they want to keep there jobs?

16. jamse macrumors newbie

if he bought it at an apple store initially this argument wont matter.

restocking fees are there to cover the price of resetting the unit, and selling it as open box (maybe "refurbished" in this case), so the company has every right to deny to waive a restocking fee.

17. iPunish901 thread starter macrumors 6502

iPunish901

i plan to go back on saturday. ill try again with hopefully a manager. but ill pay the restock fee if i have to, its no biggie.

thanks for all the comments. this is my first mac so im not use to dealing with :apple:, besides my iphone. ive learned my lesson.