new white macbook or aluminum macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Z6128, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Z6128 macrumors regular

I'm looking for a new laptop and after using Dell and Windows for years, am finally switching to a Mac. I'll be off to college in the fall, but need a new computer now and was looking between the 2.1ghz core2 duo white macbook or 2ghz aluminum macbook. i will only be using the laptop for internet, email, itunes, and office programs. i will not be gaming or photo editing, or video editing. i plan on eventually maxing out the ram to either one i get eventually. is there any reason to go with the aluminum macbook over the white one?

2. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

I got the 2.4 MB for school and it is working out fantastically.

As far as the two that you are thinking about I'd get the 2.0 Aluminum just because it's the newer one, it's a bit faster, and because the fit and finish is nicer. All they did with the old white one was take $100 off. If the new one is out you might as well spend the extra $300 if you can.

3. fa8362 macrumors 65816

For your needs, no. And the old one has firewire. You might, however, look into the earlier 2.4ghz white model. I paid only $1000 for a new one recently. Same performance as the 2.0ghz aluminum model, just no LED screen or updated video subsystem.

4. DiSFLyLaTiNa macrumors regular

get the 2.4Ghz black macbook refurbished. it's $1049. 2GB RAM 250GB Harddrive. Same specs as 2.4Ghz Aluminum minus the graphics.