New White MacBook or Unibody MacBook ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MaTUC, Jan 24, 2009.

1. MaTUC macrumors regular

I'm finally buying a new mac (I got an iBook G4) and I'm between the new white macbook and the unibody one.. which one would you reccommend ??

Thank you in advande ;)

2. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

I just purchased an aluminum macbook and the quality is much better then the whitebook. no question. I had a previous generation black macbook and I defiantly like the aluminum better. pretty much everything about it is better.

3. pcwolff macrumors newbie

Yeah I'd go with the new Aluminum MacBook as well. I love the look a bit more and have heard that the build quality is better than the plastic book. Although if you don't like the idea of a no button track pad you may want to think about the plastic book :)

4. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

What do you plan to use it for, and is cost a big factor to you? The unibody MacBook is slightly faster thanks to better RAM, but in reality you'd probably never notice the difference. It's got a nicer trackpad and looks better, but really, that's about it. For pretty well any task you can throw at it, the white MacBook will perform just as well.

And the white one has Firewire, which is a nice plus imo.

That said, if I were buying today I would be very tempted by the unibody. It's simply gorgeous... :)

5. jarenado macrumors regular

jarenado

if you can afford the aluminum go with that. Its the latest and greatest, the white macbook is merely there until they sell out of it.

6. MaTUC thread starter macrumors regular

I don't have special plans for it ;) just a little bit of everything (gaming, video/photo edit, text bla bla)

Thanks for these recommendations =)

7. CSilver macrumors 6502

How about a refurb Alum Macbook?

I am also going to be a user who is going to be own his FIRST MAC EVER lol within couple months or so. I made some threads and also read that Refurb ones are much better in Price-wise since the 1 year warranty still exit for the Refurb. I have finally made up my mind to go with Refurb unless there is a better deal other than Ebay, Macmall etc.

I hope you make a wise decision and be happy about it :D
    I am so excited to switch to MAC!!! Can't Wait!

8. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Hence why they just updated it with the new graphics chip, right? :rolleyes:

For those uses, performance should be nearly identical. Only thing to note is, is your camera Firewire or USB? The unibody MB doesn't have Firewire, so if you plan to do video editing and your camera doesn't support USB transfer, that rules it right out.

9. MaTUC thread starter macrumors regular

Congrats:D you will fall in love with your Mac haha

10. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

... if both the uni and white books use the same CPU, GPU and FSB couldn't the RAM in the white book be up'd to DDR3?

I'm trying to decide between the two myself and that would be the clincher for the white book...

11. pcwolff macrumors newbie

Memory isn't "based", or however you want to term it, on those other components...it's usually the motherboard that decides if it will take DDR2 or DDR3 not the CPU, GPU...etc...

12. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Nope, it's the physical connection that's at issue. But real-world testing, from what I've read, seems to show very, very little difference between DDR2 and DDR3 RAM in these machines, so...

13. Sullycanpara macrumors newbie

I work at a major electronics retailer, and often times sell Mac computers to our customers. If I ever have a customer looking at the white Macbook, I always suggest going to the alu unibody Macbook for a number of reasons Firstly, the alu body is, IMO, nicer looking, and I would think would stand up to abuse better than a plastic laptop. Also, the alu model has a better display screen, but the biggest sell is the multi-touch trackpad. Any time I demo that it amazes people what you can do with it...and for about a $200 upgrade price here in Canada, it's a no brainer. I'd upgrade in a second...

Tim

14. FunkyMonkey macrumors 6502

Haha I am in the same boast as you. But I'm not sure I can afford to upgrade at this moment.:(

15. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

$200 is a lot of $$$ to dish out. For me, I got the whitebook because it was $350 less than the unibody at the time :)

16. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

For only an extra $100, you can get a unibody MB refurbished. At $1099, I think it's the best value of any Mac right now. Same 1yr warranty as new.

Good luck whichever way you go. All of the Macs are amazing!

17. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

To the OP:

The new/improved whitebooks are very capable machines. Don't reject them without getting to know the specs and feel of them first. The problems with the whitebook are currently known (due to it being out for so long), whereas some problems that may be latent in the AluBook may have yet to surface.

So check out that Whitebook. It's a great machine.

18. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Well with the update, the big one is gone(graphics card)

So do you need

FireWire 400

Or

Unibody
    Possible back light keyboard(the higher model)
    New trackpad
    possible higher speed(if you upgrade it)

19. djkny macrumors 6502

Firewire is still huge. Shame on you Apple for un-pimping the alu Macbook.

20. ib4walrus macrumors regular

I would try and get a refurb Alu Macbook unless you really have a need for firewire. If money is an issue I would get a refurb white model.

21. suniil macrumors member

I just gone thru the research last week and bought white macbook. Credit crunch, Recession & redunduncies scared me away from slightly faster and sexy Alum.

Saved £200 ish, which is very important for me at this moment :eek:

22. e8w117 macrumors member

bump, for the unibody. i just bought mine last week, from macmall. no probs, no complaints.

23. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

The new white macbook w/ Nvidea graphics does sound pretty sweet. You may need to check out both trackpads. Check out the display too. IDK about your display but my 12" PB display was superior to my MB. There aren't many options for displays but it's good to know what you're getting. I guess you don't need FW. If price is not an issue it may come down to looks. With you coming from white plastic, you may know if you want a new white plastic one or move to aluminum.

To answer your question; I would get the aluminum MB because it's the newest generation and it will set up nice with the new 24" LED Display. I also prefer aluminum as I think it's more scratch resistant. I like the black keys with silver background and an option for backlighting too.

24. DarthTreydor macrumors 6502

i'd rather have the whitebook. its a better value, in my opinion. plus it has firewire which, for me at least, is invaluable.