New white Macbook vs last years aluminum Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by l1fted, Jan 17, 2010.

1. l1fted macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I currently have last year's standard aluminum macbook. My mom just won a standard macbook (the new white one) in a sales competition. She offered to give it to me and take mine. Besides this new one having snow leopard vs min only having leopard, what are some of the advantages of taking the new one? I kind of like my aluminum frame makes it feel sturdy, this new one however is VERY clean looking and I'm digging the interface a little more. Spec wise what would be the better decision?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place..

Thanks

2. Trexznl macrumors member

It has a better/faster processor, better screen and battery..

However, imho none of those points would be worth the trade off for the beautiful aluminium unibody casing, unless you need the bigger battery..

3. eldudorinio macrumors member

eldudorinio

There is an important difference in the audio jacks.
    The aluminium Macbook has both an audio-in and an audio-out. The new white Macbook only has one jack, used for both input and output.

4. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

I've got the perfect opinion on this scenario. Owning both an 08 October AlumMacbook and a 09 uMB I can honestly say I'd *much* rather have the uMB, everything overall is faster, it feels much more professional and clean, snow leopard for sure, and I can honestly say it's a very good computer. The aluminium casing is very nice, however I don't think it particularly warrants having a slower computer.

5. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

Having used both also, I agree. The screen on the 09 plastic unibody is really much nicer and incredibly bright. It's damn fast too. It boots faster than my 13 macbookpro which is also 2.26ghz.

Go with the plastic unibody for a much longer battery life as well.

6. l1fted thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot guys. I think i'll with the go umb! Atleast until I leave to college then I may switch back and just upgrade the internals, given the alumimac seems more equipped to survive dorm life :D

7. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

My 06 MB has survived 3 years of uni and drinking quite well, you might be surprised at the durability of some mac products.

8. brendu macrumors 68020

after using both I agree the new uMB is the better deal. The only thing the alMB had over the new one is the backlit keyboard option... which is GREAT. But not worth getting old over new.

9. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Only if you bought the aluMBP