New White Macbooks Not The Same as Last Generations? (The Casing Primarily)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by HappyDude20, Apr 16, 2009.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I just got off the phone with AppleCare and they are going to replace the bottom and top casings of my white macbook which I purchased in Dec of 2006.

The bottom white "casing" is being replaced cause of cracking marks around the back perimeter and they've admitted this is a known issue. They are then replacing the top white casing, you know with the see through "light me up" apple logo due to odd discoloration at certain spots on that casing. The discoloration is an issue Apple has gladly replaced already 2 times for me, oddly enough...

...but through browsing on the apple site and macrumors, It seems that the new white macbooks are made of plastic...and am therefore guessing the old ones aren't?

If this is the case, will my white macbook come looking/feeling different?:apple:

2. johnny13oi macrumors member

The casings differ from generation to generation. Trust me because I have had both the Macbook with Core Duo and one with a Core 2 Duo and it cannot be done due to the placement of the screw holes on the case.

3. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

They were and are both made out of polycarbonate. I'd also assume that, should you get a replacement, they will match everything correctly.

4. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Oh alrighty, no big deal.

Just thought i'd be getting a macbook feeling completely different.

I'm saddened that i'll be w/o a macbook for a few days as I need to get a few essays typed out but super glad my Mac will look brand new. My screen was replaced a few days ago so I'm loving my white mac even more.

Thanks everyone. .. . .

One last question: Any worthwhile cases for the white macbook?

This is my 3rd time turning in my Mac to AppleCare to replace the top casing due to discoloration and I don't like scratches that build up over time...though the only reason I never got a case was cause there was nothing out there that caught my eye.

5. GrannieSmith macrumors newbie

LOVE LOVE LOVE my Speck hard case - I have the SeeThru Satin in the purple. Really gets my Mac noticed!

6. mosx macrumors 65816

If you're sending the system in, be sure to take pictures of EVERYTHING on the system. Make sure every single spec, spot, scratch, everything on the system is photographed and documented in video if possible.

Doing this has saved me a couple of times. Why? Because Apple's repair facility, Flextronics, is notorious for sending the system back "repaired" but in worse shape than it went out in.

7. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Very interesting. I'll do that.

Also, when I called AppleCare they asked questions about my Mac to confirm it and I mentioned I have a 500GB HD. However the assistant at the AppleStore told me to back up my HD since Apple is known for, at times, returning products with the HD blank. So, my question right now is....can I send in my Mac without an HD? Obviously so it'll be safe with me? Can I pop in the original 80GB HD instead? The reason overall for this is the Leopard Disc I purchase a while back is back at home with my parents across the country and it would be a huge hassle for them to retrieve it, as it's somewhere in tons of storage. I know it's not the biggest deal, but just something i'd def. like to avoid.