New white unibody macbook...where is the backlit keyboard?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Dairyman, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Dairyman macrumors member

I don't know about anyone else but that is a deal breaker for me. I like to use my MBP at night and the backlit is a must.

I don't want the aluminum chasis I want the polycarbonate otherwise I would just get the pro again!

Anyone to put the MBP backlit in the new unibody white macbook....?

2. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

3. crabbo macrumors newbie

crabbo

Thanks for sharing that.

4. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

The backlit keyboard is a pro feature, which the MacBook is not. The MacBook has the cheapest price for an Apple notebook and has many of the more "exclusive features" removed, including the backlit keyboard.

If you want the exclusive/pro features of a notebook then buy a MacBook Pro.

5. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

I'd think most people would balk about the lack of an SD slot in the new MB's.

6. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

I would also love to see a backlit keyboard, I hate the black keys on the pros, on white it would be amazing.

7. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

The strange thing is, he has a pro and wants to downgrade...

8. chill. macrumors 6502

the polycarbon macbook doesn't strangle the wireless signal like the aluminum ones though! the rest of the specs are so similar though i think the 13" mb > 13" mbp for this reason alone

9. nickXedge macrumors 6502

nickXedge

This was my first and only gripe with the new model. However, after several minutes of thought, I realized that's silly. Apple put an SD slot in as a Pro feature for photographers, and I can understand that. I have a card reader anyway, and I'm not a professional in any way, so I can deal. Not like I'll be replacing my late 2007 Macbook anytime soon anyway.

10. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Uh, you know the unibody MacBooks had a backlight keyboard. And a backlight keyboard is not a pro feature.

Keep in mind the new MacBook has no FireWire port. Something that I really hate.

11. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Well, as a photographer myself I don't think this was the reason. They eliminated all Pro Canon cameras users because we use Compact Flash.

My theory is Apple really "hoped" that the MBP line would take off and surpass the whitebook sales with the last refresh, hence the addition of FW, SD slot, and $1199 price. It didn't trend that way. The whitebook continues to be their #1 seller.

Apple just can't distance their low end laptop "enough" from the pro line.

12. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Only the highend model had the backlight...

But yeah, lack of FW is kinda crappy. Otherwise, it looks like the new poly is gunna be a great machine.

13. sine-nomine macrumors regular

Yeah, it's only available on the MBPs. You must remember that it is only necessary to see the keyboard in a dark environment when you are using the computer as part of your paying job. While I'm sure that there are some consumers that may on occasion think that they "need" that feature (and really, it is more of just a want than a need), the vast majority surely do not. The boys at Apple aren't stupid - they've done the research and know this. It's a genuine Pro feature that has no business on a consumer-level notebook.

14. nickXedge macrumors 6502

nickXedge

Oh, I didn't realize the Pro models still use Compact Flash, I thought SDHC had become the standard. Remember, I said I was nowhere near a professional. :rolleyes: Then Apple is just silly, and I agree with what you're saying. I thought Apple had said they changed from ExpressCard/34 slot to SD card slot for photographers, maybe in the keynote? Either way, by you're reasoning, they are wrong for doing so. Apple has a habit of "standardizing" one thing and trying to force it on their users, I guess that's just another example.

15. fluffyx macrumors 6502

It is not possible to retrofit a backlit keyboard to the new unibody plastic MacBooks. The logic board won't support it.

Seriously, is $200 extra for a MacBook Pro unreasonable if you want the backlit keyboard? You get other plusses, too...

16. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Using your computer in a dark room is very bad for your eyesight, the room must be well lit for less strain on your eyes. If your workplace isn't properly lit, then it should be, otherwise it isn't meeting health and safety standards. A backlit keyboard doesn't change this, it just means when you look down you can make out the letters on the keys. Your eyesight is still being affected.

I also thought this!

17. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

50 years from now:

Back in my day we didn't have backlighting, we had nubs on f and j and our parents beat us until we learned typing without having to look at the keyboard. :D

Seriously who needs backlighting?

18. copykris Suspended

copykris

you're either being sarcastic or you just wrote one of the dumbest things i've ever read in my life

i can't quite decide

19. 2SwiFt29 macrumors regular

2SwiFt29

LOL.. apparently he doesn't research enough when buying a mackbook or in this case a macbook pro..

I have the unibody macbook before they all became macbook pros and my keyboard has lighted keyboard. Reason is because I bought the higher end of the macbook..

20. sine-nomine macrumors regular

Yes, it was sarcasm.

21. excommie macrumors regular

Why do you hate firewire?

22. copykris Suspended

copykris

phew

23. nickXedge macrumors 6502

nickXedge

Win.