New WIFI card in old (2008) Mac Pro - help please?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Reach, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Reach, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2014

Reach macrumors 6502a

Hello!

I just managed to install a wifi-card in my early 2008 Mac Pro, but now I'm in need of some help from someone that knows more than me about how this really works... :p

First off: I got it working! Attached all three wifi-antenna-cables to the corresponding sockets on my wifi card.

Second: This is the card I put in http://www.ebay.com/itm/380995851617?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT (Toshiba Satellite M305D Series Wifi Wireless Card AR5BXB72)

Third: When I watch my network setting, the WIFI seems to be called "Parallels NAT", and the info from the system report is also attached here.

My main problem: I only get max 10 mbps down and 5 mbps up, even if my connection really is 50/50. Any idea of what I can do to improve the speeds would be GREATLY appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edit:
    Network utility says I'm ready for 802.11n and all…:
    [​IMG]

2. Reach thread starter macrumors 6502a

So... Seems distance to the router was the only problem. When I put the router in the same room, I got max speeds. But that means I got pretty poor wifi reception in that big metal box.. Any way to improve that? (Because I need to have the router in another room, really...)

3. chrfr macrumors 603

You can rename it by clicking the gear symbol at the bottom of the window, and choosing "Rename Service..." from the menu.