New Windows 7 Partition Issues

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Finding Forever, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Finding Forever macrumors newbie

Hello,

Recently I had to replace my hard drive in my Mid 2009 MacBook Pro because of bad sectors. I installed to Mountain Lion and updated to Mavericks yesterday to get my Mac side up and running. Today I partitioned my HD and installed Windows 7. The stupid Bootcamp Assistant wouldn't download the drivers I needed so I manually downloaded them and installed windows on my partition.

Everything is running smoothly for the most part except for a few minor inconveniences. None of the function buttons are working for my keyboard. No brightness/sound adjustment. Also, I can't get any sound at all. Before partitioning I had no issue with the built in speakers or plugging in headphones. Now, a red light is on and shining out of the audio jack. I've read online that it can be messed with but I've had no luck fixing it. *EDIT:* It seems that the red light will go away, but as soon as I mess with the volume switcher on taskbar it comes right back on.

If anyone knows what is going on with those issues I'd be much appreciative of a resolution. I have been reading online but I figured I'd post on here and lay out my specific situation in hopes of an answer.

Regards

2. Joined:
    Nov 1, 2013
    Hello,

sorry to hear that you are having trouble. You mentioned that the bootcamp software was installed. Do you see the BootCamp diamond next to the clock? Just wondering if it got installed completely (or something is missing).

Kayron

3. Finding Forever thread starter macrumors newbie

Now that you mention it...I don't. I downloaded everything I thought I needed but perhaps I didn't get everything I needed to satisfy my partition completely. What am I missing if I don't have the diamond?

I'll be honest...I ran an XP partition for 4 years up until my hard drive gave out. I'm basically re-learning this process of a bootcamp partition as I go. I haven't messed with it in 4 years.

Regards

4. Finding Forever thread starter macrumors newbie

5. DaGr8Gatzby macrumors member

Rerun the bootcamp installer to ensure you have all required drivers. The function keys not working are definitely a driver issue with AppleKeyboard. Keep us updated.

6. Finding Forever thread starter macrumors newbie

The problem is that it doesn't work right now and Apple hasn't fixed it. I just get an error message every time that says "Can't install software because it is currently unavailable from the Software Update Server."

I attempted to download the correct drivers manually, and it seemed to work. How do I know all the drivers that I need? Does Apple list them there somewhere?

I can tell you what I did download though. autorun.inf, Boot Camp Installation & Setup Guide, BootCamp.xml, Bootcamp64.xml, Folder labeled "Documentation" with a bunch of different languages in it, Drivers folder w several sub folders, Help Guides folder, and setup.exe

Regards

7. Finding Forever thread starter macrumors newbie

So can someone point me in the direction of a list of everything needed for Bootcamp? I guess it is pretty clear that I don't have everything needed...

8. kpgh554 macrumors regular

kpgh554

is it win7 64 or win7 32 if 32 need to go apple and download latest bootcamp drivers in 32

9. Finding Forever thread starter macrumors newbie

64 bit.

10. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Is this what you mean? DL the most recent 5.0 and run it.

http://support.apple.com/downloads/#macoscomponents

11. DaGr8Gatzby macrumors member

12. Quackers macrumors 6502a

Did you double-click on setup.exe in the Bootcamp folder?

13. Finding Forever thread starter macrumors newbie

14. Quackers macrumors 6502a

Once you are booted into Windows you need to double-click on the setup.exe in the Bootcamp folder (wherever you saved that to).

15. Finding Forever thread starter macrumors newbie

Now I feel like a fool. Thanks for that...I just assumed all that would be setup during the windows installation process.

Ugh...got it working, thanks!

16. Quackers macrumors 6502a

Glad to hear that :D
    Sometimes the Bootcamp drivers will be installed automatically if they are on the same drive as the installer but it's not happened for me so I just do it manually.

Have fun! ;)

17. iphonenetworker macrumors newbie