New Windows 7 Taskbar Copies OS X Dock

Discussion in 'macOS' started by eezing, Dec 12, 2008.

1. eezing macrumors 6502

eezing

I just installed the latest build of Windows 7 on my MBP last night. All things aside, the new taskbar takes the best from both worlds. You get the simplicity and usability of the OS X dock along with everything that makes the original taskbar great... and without any of their faults.

It's good to see that Microsoft is stepping it up with Windows 7, as competition is always a good thing for consumers.

Check it out

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

edit: me read post wrong. ugh

3. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

The only thing that M$ could do to step things up is to make a stable OS. but since they have to make a pretty wide open OS to accept all the third party crap out there that will never happen and M$ will keep trying to shine crap. Just my opinion :cool:

4. chris200x9 macrumors 6502a

when I saw it am I the only one who thought gnome? It's just like minimize to tray...except for peek....but peek just looks retarded just do expose...

5. eezing thread starter macrumors 6502

eezing

You do realize the "I'm a Mac" commercials were for marketing purposes only, right?

6. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Ummmmm, HUH?:confused: What does the I'm a Mac commercials have to do with M$ not making a decent OS, and not resorting to basically copying other OS to disguise the fact that they can't make a decent OS?

7. eezing thread starter macrumors 6502

eezing

Don't ya know... Your not actually supposed to believe commercials you see on American TV. :)

I'm a firm believer of... If it ain't broke, don't fix it... But, I also believe nothing is perfect and there is always room for improvement (a bit contradicting, I know, makes sense though); and in this case, "M$" has one up on OS X dock. As I said, competition is good, even for you bravo.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'm tempted to question how many Vista bashers have actually used it?

As with me, it's never crashed, as always been stable; never seen a virus. OS X—KP for weird things; if anything OS X is just overly restrictive and bloated.

9. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

I reckon I saw something like Peek for GNOME.

10. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Ok, well. You didn't answer the question on what this has to do with the commercials. Sorry, but M$ will never have anything that is 1 up on OS X. Windows OS has been broken since day 1 and since Vista was so un-popular, the thinking that we will just make a new OS will just fix everything. Even though that new OS is Windws Vista with a new name and some fancy decorations.

I also believe nothing is perfect and yes competition is good. But Microsoft can't seem to do anything innovative anymore it's just time to call it what it is.. I say this because of those guys that started the "Mohave" project. Going around interviewing ppl why they hate Vista and then showing them thi "New" Windows OS, which was bull****, it was Windows Vista. You really think that if Microsoft just puts a new name on the OS that it will be just super duper.. Sorry, but faulse advertising does nothing for me, and shiny bells and whistles on something that is crap does nothing for me either.

And just for the record, I am using Vista via bootcamp cause it runs my game. I don't use it for anything else....

EDIT** And just a side note. I bought my MBP almost because of the Mac vs. PC commercials and what was said in those commercials are pretty much true in my eyes. Mac's are way better....

11. mcnicks macrumors regular

Who cares who did what first. I think it looks like a really useful, intuitive feature and I hope everybody implements it. Expose is fine but if you have lots of similar looking windows open it can be hard to distinguish between them.

12. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Agreed. I love Vista and am excited for the release of Windows 7. I'm also psyched for the release of Snow Leopard, don't get me wrong...

13. eezing thread starter macrumors 6502

eezing

14. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Yet you play games in Windows because OS X can't...

Have you used Windows 7, or spent very much time in Vista? I've found Vista to be MORE stable than Leopard. I like the look and feel of Leopard a lot more, but it still hangs, especially when I'm running on two monitors. You're really just regurgitating what you've heard other people say. Please, give some examples (specific examples, BSOD isn't one since Leopard Kernel panics too)

What has Apple done lately that the open source community hasn't? Microsoft is the first to bring multitouch to a full size computer before Apple and general Linux.

I'm confused are you complaining about Microsoft's marketing or their OS? You complain about their marketing, yet say it's an issue with the OS. Last time I checked the marketing team isn't an algorithm running in Vista. (also, the word you're looking for is "false")

...even though you just said that Windows doesn't do anything better... :rolleyes:

You bought a computer because of a commercial? A commercial produced by Apple, thus extremely biased Pro Apple.

15. RobertD63 macrumors 6502

WOW, Something I though would come out of someone's mouth seriously.
    Its real bloated! :p

16. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Some parts are. iPhoto and iTunes are bloated.

17. edgew8 macrumors regular

edgew8

Doesn't seem like a dock ripoff to me at all. That just seems like a refined version of the taskbar. I know its fun to rip on Microsoft but Win7 looks like it will be very nice consumer desktop even tho it looks like Gnome.

If anything, It is ripping off Gnome! not OSX

18. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

I can give several.

1. My uncle's laptop randomly lost his sound driver one day. While searching for a way to fix it, the actual card itself disappeared before my eyes (Vista could no longer see it was connected). A reinstall fixed it.
    2. Christmas last year three more laptops entered the house. Two were using Vista, none could connect to the 802.11g network with WPA security. Even when they could, upon a restart or after waking from sleep they lost it again.
    3. A friend's laptop kept losing her dictionaries.
    4. Another friend had a similar problem to my uncle. His network driver disappeared. A known Vista issue apparently. He had to reinstall as well.
    5. Lack of nVidia 8000 series drivers for #4's laptop.

Nothing on this level has ever happened to me with Leopard. Tiger once (incompatibility between 10.4.3 and some software) but never Leopard.

19. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

and you haven't heard of all hundreds of complainers about Leopard's airport issues?
    as for the drivers for graphics cards, at least Vista supports other graphics cards...

20. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

I have, but we're not talking about what other people have said, are we?

21. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Nope, my sister was mad at me for making her updateto Leopard, because she has airport issues now.

22. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

Well good...or bad...or...something. But that's only one person, not hundreds.

23. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

I was a hardcore PC guy. Used to defend Windows up down and sideways to my Mac friends. Then the commercials came out. Made me laugh, and made me want to buy a Mac. I see the commercials that Microsoft, doesn't make me want to go back to Windows full time.

Yes I use Vista. And yes, just because Mac can't play a lot of the games. Woopy freakin doo.... That's pretty much all Windows has going for it that Mac doesn't, that it can play games. Other than that, not much else... I do my invoicing for my business on my Mac, I do graphics, video editing, audio editing and everything else I can think of on my Mac, why, because in my opinion it does it better.

I'm not hear to argue what's better Mac vs. Windows. I just can't stand that after all these years Windows has to basically becoma a Mac to try and compete. And I am not going to argue who did what first, don't care... I switched from a Windows based PC to a Mac because it works way better. I don't have hardly any of the issues that Windows faces.

And yes, there is linux. but unfortunatly the ruling OS's right now are Mac OS and Windows OS. And Windows OS still holds the greater of the market share.

24. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

That taskbar looks pretty nice. I would use that feature if it existed in OS X.