New Windows 8 iPad App - Tried it?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by OSMac, Apr 14, 2012.

1. OSMac macrumors 65816

2. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

That looks awesome.... I'll be putting win 8 into a VM again today...

3. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

$25 is a lot of money to be testing this out.

4. kmanmx macrumors 6502

5. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

25 bucks for VNC-like support. Of course if you don't have a PC running Windows 8, there is no point in this. Very misleading app store description. Like a bait/switch. F-Windows, F-Windows 8, F-Microsoft, not interested.

6. nfl46 macrumors 603

7. srcstc macrumors member

Seriously. $25 is way too much.

8. thelead macrumors 6502

And they're going to raise it to $50 :eek:

9. ZeRoLiMiT macrumors 6502a

ZeRoLiMiT

VNC that's all it is! REQUIRES WINDOWS 8 running waste of time!!

10. OSMac thread starter macrumors 65816

More then VNC, its supports the gestures that is key to using Metro on the iPad.

$25 is the reason I posted the question, hoping someone can review it...

11. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

That looks very interesting, but as already been posted - not $25 interesting...

12. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

$25 isn't even the half of it, looking at the app in the App Store, you still need a PC running Win8 in order to use this. Meaning, this is just a fancier version of their remote PC app thats already out. This isn't putting Win8 onto your iPad, its the ability to control the Win8 thats already on your PC from your iPad.

I have the Splashtop remote app, its great for controlling my PC while I'm away. And when used with the Dropbox cloud, I can access my files from anywhere in the world. This Win8 app is a waste of money though IMO.

13. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I will hold off for about another 6 months when Win 8 hits the market.

Do worry about the replies here, these people are only frightened of Win 8:eek:

I am looking forward to Win8 with software that will possible help me in the business world. If the device will let me set up folder and files along with real version of MS Office, it will be useful.

14. donnaw macrumors 65816

The purpose of the app is to allow developers to see what their Win8 apps look and feel like on a tablet with the same form factor as an iPad. I don't think it really has another purpose.

15. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

Win8 looks right at home on a tablet, and I know that's the main focus for the OS. However I don't think its too practical on a desktop. I still have, and use, 2 Windows PC's, but I think I'll be sticking with Win7 for those. I wouldn't mind trying out a Win8 tablet though.

16. sekazi macrumors 6502

I hope LogMeIn Ignition does something like this in the future. I do not want to pay and install another app to do this.

17. lepeos macrumors member

It might down in price as more VNC's update and allow this, but alas Splashtop software usually is the best.

I use Splashtop on a Windows 7 desktop and my only problem with it is how clunky it is to control it, this looks like it makes the whole remote desktop experience much more fluid and user friendly.

18. OSMac thread starter macrumors 65816

19. dstar macrumors regular

I don't see much value in this app for me.

I can't wait though for windows 8 tablets to hit the market. I really hope someone builds the hardware at least as nice as the iPad.

A real usable file system on a slick tablet would be killer.

20. scottw324 macrumors 6502

Eeehhhhhhh, I will stick with running Window 7 on my iPad. That isn't worth $25 to just mirror what is on the computer to the iPad. If windows tablets actually are worth a damn when they come out maybe I will consider buying one. Right now I am content with my iPad 3.

Plus you will only be able to use this when you are connected to your computer through your local LAN unless it allows remote access like Splashtop remote does.

21. OSMac thread starter macrumors 65816

This thread shows how an app price can effect sales.

Looks like no one purchased it ?

22. jman240, Apr 16, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2012

jman240 macrumors 6502a

Bought it. Works decent, even over the internet. Not sure it's worth $25 but I figured $25 is a lot cheaper than a full blown windows tablet so...

It does give you a really good idea of what MS is trying to do with 8. Once you've paid for it you can always use it from here on out so it becomes less of a price issue over time. If you plan to even have 1 win8 machine, be it desktop or laptop, then this might be beneficial to get all the "advantages" of running win8 without giving up your iPad or having to carry 2 tablets. It actually works better in desktop mode than the normal Splashtop app since it's geared way more for touch. On the local network it's fast enough to stream media like any flash content from your PC to the iPad.

I agree that $25 seems like a lot for what it does but figure its a niche market, esp for iPad owners, and they didn't lie about the capabilities. They have to pay for the development of this somehow and I'm sure it wasn't cheap plus they don't plan to sell volumes of this app I'm sure.

Of note: you need the latest version of their free streaming app installed in the machine or VM you wish to connect to. Gotomypc charges $10/month for the same thing, and they limit it to one computer at that price, so this is really a good deal if you think of it that way. It uses a Google account to connect you over the internet (ie not on the same network). The Win8 app also works with windows 7 and I'm sure any other computer you have the streamer app installed on.

I have an iPad 3rd gen if it matters.

23. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

I've purchased the app and installed the streamer on my Windows 8 partition. The ability to use the Metro UI with a true touch interface does make the OS more usable - but only in the Metro interface. When you flip over to the classic (Aero) interface - which is really just the Windows 7 UI in a Metro wrapper - you see the same issues there that you see using Metro with a Keyboard and Mouse.

There are streamer apps available for Windows 7 and even OS X as well, so you can control all three OSes from the iPad. There is some lag/latency, but that's due to the quality/speed of the WiFi network more so than the app or devices in use.

From a development standpoint, this allows Devs to test out apps in the Metro UI using a touch/tablet interface, which is not readily available using other tablets at this point in time. There may be a handful of major developers who have an advance version of a Windows 8 tablet, but the vast majority of developers will not have access to those.

24. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

I got Windows 8 consumer preview and server beta running on VM's. I tried out 8 on a tablet at a local Microsoft presentation. Like all other versions of Windows, I'll wait until final RTM to run on a serious system. Last beta I ran on my main computer was Windows 97 Memphis. Yes, Windows 98 was almost Windows 97. I have a feeling that I may buy a Windows 8 tablet, in addition to having my iPad.