Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

IlliniDude

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
I have a new MacBook Air. I need Windows installed in order to run a program for school.

I bought Parallels with the computer and will install it tonight.

Can I use my existing Windows license from my old PC (which I will be disposing of)? Or do I need to purchase a new one?

Thanks!

balamw

Aug 16, 2005
New England
You cannot transfer OEM licenses to another computer

That is correct, with the OEM licenses that ship bundled with most PCs you explicitly do not get transfer rights granted by the EULA.

However, many have been physically able to move OEM licenses and get them fully activated by Microsoft. So just because you aren't granted the right doesn't mean it isn't possible.

Also, both Parallels and VMWare provide tools to convert a running PC to a VM. I have done this myself with my last Dell when I retired it and briefly went Mac only.

I would suggest you try using Parallels Transporter to create a VM clone of your existing PC and then really retire it. Erase or remove the HDD and remove the Windows license sticker from the case so there can be only one.

B

IlliniDude

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
That is correct, with the OEM licenses that ship bundled with most PCs you explicitly do not get transfer rights granted by the EULA.

However, many have been physically able to move OEM licenses and get them fully activated by Microsoft. So just because you aren't granted the right doesn't mean it isn't possible.

Also, both Parallels and VMWare provide tools to convert a running PC to a VM. I have done this myself with my last Dell when I retired it and briefly went Mac only.

I would suggest you try using Parallels Transporter to create a VM clone of your existing PC and then really retire it. Erase or remove the HDD and remove the Windows license sticker from the case so there can be only one.

B

Cool, thanks! I'll give that a shot. Is it relatively straightforward? I've not attempted anything like this before.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I've used the vmware's converter tool and found that to be very straight forward. I haven't one it in a while but when I did, it was easy enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.