New Windows Mobile Copies iPhone Icons

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by OnlyOneThatEver, Feb 16, 2009.

1. OnlyOneThatEver macrumors member

2. zachplaysguitar macrumors 6502

zachplaysguitar

Is this real? It seems no one would do something so blatantly obvious...

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It's certainly done. My aunt has some phone from China where every single icon is outright stolen from the iPhone. (The iPhone's "Settings" icon with the gears is "Games" on her phone for some reason.)

But Microsoft doing it? Yeah, I'm not buying it. If this is real there's some explanation for it, like this phone was customized by someone or something like that.

4. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Are you sure that's the new Windows Mobile and not one of the many hacks out there? I know that you can definitely modify the Windows Mobile to look exactly like the iPhone (so modifying it like your picture wouldn't be difficult).

5. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

6. markgamber macrumors 6502

That look has been around for 10 minutes after the first pictures of the original iPhone were made available. If anyone is outraged now, I have some great stock tips for them.

7. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

OMGZ!! Apple invented that icon. But, Steve Jobs sed they patented it! Lookz in the iPhone patent!!

Like this guys says, unlike the iPhone, the Win Mo interface is highly customizable and flexible. There must be hundreds of different Win Mo themes out there.

8. RonCarr macrumors regular

RonCarr

I don't know what version of WM you have been looking at but every version I have seen the icons are dated and very low resolution. At least Apple makes their icons a higher resolution so that if they need to get bigger they do not look terrible.

9. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

What do you mean by "dated".

10. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

Yeah do you have a link/story behind where this came from, It would be hard to believe WM would be so blatantly duplicating the iphone icons, but I guess it is not impossible to believe so....

11. RonCarr macrumors regular

RonCarr

Uh by dated I mean that WM looks the same as Windows 98.

I will say though, they have changed their home screen to look more up-to-date. As far as menus and other screens and apps go though it is very out dated looking. This includes most of the icons.

12. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

Microsoft blatantly copying Apple, Never, I wont believe it...

...Oh wait, well, its not like theyve done it before, is it? Realy? Remember "Redmond start your photocopiers", well, they did.

13. chabig macrumors 68040

14. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Oh, good and gentle townsfolk of Locker C-18... welcome to the real world! :)

Some icons will always look similar.

For example, the little wait spinner on the iPhone? HELLO. Had it for months in my web sites before Apple decided to use it. OMG, Apple copied ME. Not.

15. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Looks like a caller ID photo.

Shame this post is by The OnlyOneThatEver, we know how much bs he spews out :p

16. markgamber macrumors 6502

I know this is going to be really hard for some people to understand but out of the hundreds of themes available to Windows Mobile, Microsoft made three. And this isn't one of them. In fact, there's a theme that makes a Windows Mobile phone look IDENTICAL to an iPhone. Same layout, same icons, same backgrounds, same function. Microsoft didn't make that one, also, because I know who did.

Oh yeah, speaking of themes, it's true. You can put any of hundreds, perhaps thousands by now, of themes on a stock Windows Mobile phone. No jailbreaking or any other hacking required. You WISH Microsoft copied the iPhone. Then it could be a closed, limited system to which you can't do anything personal and nice without having to hack it and void the warranty just like that on the iPhone. Too bad, better luck next time.

17. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

this is a good post.

The hatred for MS on this website is hilarious. I'm sure its just like this (but the opposite way round) on Microsoft-luvin' websites, but still, its just silly. Companies copy companies... my sister's Nintendo Wii looks like it was made by Apple...

18. markgamber macrumors 6502

I was thinking more like asinine but hilarious works. Actually, the Windows Mobile site to which I belong is nothing like this. This site is absolute the most hateful, spiteful, paranoid site to which I belong. Evil microsoft this, evil microsoft that...if they put half that energy into Apple instead of obsessing over stuff microsoft stopped doing 10 years ago, maybe Apple wouldn't be a two-bit company run by a self-absorbed dictator that consistently commands what, 7% market share? 8%? I like my iPhone and I like my Macbook Pro but facts speak for themselves and geniuses don't run companies that have minimal market share after 30 years of business.