New Wireless Apple Keyboard function key problems

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by qosie, Oct 25, 2009.

1. qosie macrumors member

Hey everyone!

My brother just got the new iMac but he wanted my wired keyboard with the num keys, so basically we switched. I gave him my extended wired keyboard and I took his wireless to use with my MBP 13in and LED CD.

So here's the problem: All the function keys don't work properly.

I went into System Preferences>Keyboard and I was able to reassign the brightness keys (F1 and F2), expose and dashboard (F3 and F4). The rest...is beyond me.

If it helps, I got the 13 inch MBP the week it came out. I tired running new software updates but nothing seems to help. I also have Snow Leopard installed.

Any sort of help would be appreciated.

edit: I also checked out Keyboard viewer and it keeps showing the extended keyboard layout

2. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

Part of the system requirements:

Have you installed it?

3. qosie thread starter macrumors member

Yeah....I just noticed. I thought it was only for the Magic Mouse. *sigh* Can they hurry up and give us the updates already!

4. Nevereverenuff macrumors newbie

I've looked everywhere and can't seem to find this Aluminum Keyboard Software Update 2.0. All I've found is Update 1.2. I'm hoping 2.0 fixes my problem with the function keys not working. Actually, the function keys work, but the special keys (brightness, dashboard, volume keys, etc.) do not work at all. I've even checked the F1, F2 keys in preferences, but to no avail. Please help.

5. Javah1 macrumors newbie

Fix!

So I was encountering the same problem on my iMac. I even went as far as to call Apple and get all the way to a Level 2 technician who said my keyboard hardware was faulty. Specifically, he said that Snow Leopard does not require the missing "Aluminum Keyboard Software Update 2.0".

No accepting this, I decided to install the software for the new Magic Mouse. I figured it might have something it in for the keyboard as well. After installing & restarting my computer, the keyboard works perfectly! All the function keys behave as designed. I hope this works for you too.