New With Macbook, Need To Know How To Set Up Wireless Internet

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Jacquelyn, May 31, 2008.

1. Jacquelyn macrumors newbie

I just got my first laptob for college and I have no idea how to set up internet on it or what to buy, ect. I need to set up the internet as soon as possible and any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks! :)

2. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

It's much easier than a windows machine. I'm rather sure all of the new macs come with the airport icon in the menu bar at the top of the screen; it looks like a pizza wedge. Click it, turn it on, and then wait for your wireless router to appear in a list below in the same pulldown you used to turn the airport on. Click your wireless SSID name, enter the password if needed, and you should be connected.

I don't think I missed anything. Let us know it worked fine for you.

To change any system settings click the apple in the top left of your screen and go to system preferences; it's equivalent to the control panel in windows. The airport preferences are under Network. You should play around in System Preferences to acquaint yourself with the mac, that's how I remember learning. Have fun.

3. thecartoonguy macrumors 6502a

thecartoonguy

Welcome to the Apple world

You may also select the system preferences icon and select the network icon. There are some very easy setup options. Some times finding a clear wireless signal may be tough on campus, depending on your location. However, I think you will be in great shape. You can always send me an email if you still need assistance.

All the best