New Work Computer Setup Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by PoppaKap, Sep 26, 2013.

1. PoppaKap macrumors regular

I need a new computer for work. I recently became a solo attorney and I'm trying to create my ultimate work computer solution.

By time of use, the computer will be primarily used at the office but I do work from home or out of office frequently.

Useage:
    Heavy word processing and handling a ton of PDFs (tens of thousands, some up to many thousand pages long). Heavy web browsing and emailing. Relatively light graphics or video work (creating keynote presentations with videos).

Options:
    I want a robust and reliable setup. I plan on holding out for a month to see what's announced but that's all I can wait.

All options are on the table but I'm primarily thinking Macbook+TBD. Now keep in mind that this computer will be my only computer at work. I could get an iMac and supplement the lost portability with my I 2009 MBP (showing its age) for some of this but drop boxing and syncing files seems like a hassle.

Are there concerns from using a macbook in clamshell mode 10 hour a day?

Is a macbook inappropriate to use in clamshell this amount of time for a few years? Are iMacs more robust?

Is like some insight into people who manage their work lives with a macbook only.

Anything I'm overlooking? Any suggestions? I really appreciate the feedback.

2. m98custom1212 macrumors 6502

Do you want OSX or windows? Sounds like OSX but you never know.

Budget?

3. geraintp, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013

geraintp macrumors newbie

This is exactly what I do, every single day. so long as you don't mind carrying you macbook pro to and from work everyday.

Macbook's have been designed to run in clamshell mode for years that shouldn't be a problem so long as it's sat on a desk and you don't obstruct the air vents in particular the long one hidden in the hinge at the back as it's where all the hot air is pumped out..

I wouldn't advise leaving it on a shag carpet with the the lid shut, it will overheat!

Recently tho, I find I run it open so I can use the second screen.

As for horse power the latest MacBook Pro's are a beasts, mine scores a higher benchmark that a tripped out 2009 Mac Pro with SSD hdd's.

If anything id just recommend you wait till the MacBook Pro is refreshed with a Thunderbolt 2 port, as its possible that the next Thunderbolt display (Also long in the tooth and due a refresh) will be a 4k retina display and won't work without a thunderbolt 2 port, which sadly my early 2013 macbook pro doesn't have :(

4. PoppaKap thread starter macrumors regular

OSX. I will use VM ware for when I need Windows 7. Budget is somewhat flexible--maybe around $3,500.

----------

I will be waiting until the next announcements. Maybe a Haswell Retina MacBook Pro and a (hopefully new) Thunderbolt Display will do the trick.
    Any chance that a MBA would be enough computer?

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

An Air would have plenty of horsepower to do the work you described.

I use a 13" Air with the Thunderbolt Display as my only computer all day long in clamshell mode and it works just fine.

Something I did not see you mention is a backup solution? You might want to get an Apple Time Capsule to automate backups and couple that with a second backup to an online backup service like Crashplan.

Since you will have client info on a portable computer, you should consider using OS X built in full disk encryption called Filevault. Once the initial encryption is done it is very transparent.

6. PoppaKap thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies.

I will absolutely be investing in a backup solution. Still weighing options on that.

Follow up question on MBA v. MBP---does the MBA present any greater durability or heat concerns?

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I'd say it is a toss up either way. No real issues with either.