iPhone XS New XS - Much Dimmer than iPhone 8

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by puma1552, Oct 12, 2018.

1. puma1552, Oct 12, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2018

puma1552 Suspended

Bought my wife an XS today, serial starts with G0 for whatever that's worth.

She loves it, phone is cosmetically perfect. Screen is nice and even with no bad tints. It is a bit warmer than my 8.

But the biggest thing, holy hell is it dim. Yes, max brightness, auto brightness off, true tone and nightshift off, of course. With the same settings as my 8, the brightness on a plain white page is not even comparable, my 8 is like 25% brighter? I tried to take a picture with my crappy iPad Air 2 but the picture doesn't show nearly the discrepancy seen in real life. I'm not returning the phone, because she's happy with it and couldn't care less (she is a low brightness/true tone user whereas I am a full brightness/no true tone user), but damn that is one dim display.

Don't get me wrong, on it's own it looks great, but when it's next to my 8? Ouch...

2. bgro macrumors 65816

I noticed the same thing going from an 8+ to an X .not sure if it's the nature of OLED vs LCD but I noticed it on my wife's as well same thing 8+ to X

3. Relentless Power, Oct 12, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

My XS Max is incredibly bright, even compared to my previous iPhone LCD display, Its no comparison (Even with managed settings), it might be warmer in some respects to an OLED dispay, but certainly isn’t ‘Much dimmer’ from my experience.

4. Jordan921 macrumors 601

Jordan921

Damn that kinda sucks. At least everything else is ok. No point in playing the screen lottery.

5. btrach144 macrumors 68000

btrach144

My max compared to my 8 plus does seem slightly dimmer but it’s not substantial.

6. puma1552 thread starter Suspended

Right, the most important thing is that it's even and doesn't have hideous yellow/pink tint. I didn't even bother to show her the brightness comparison since she just wouldn't care being a 50% or less brightness user, but if it was mine I would've been really happy with the phone up until that point of comparison.

7. puma1552 thread starter Suspended

Well here's a pic anyway, crappy Air 2 camera or not. Ignore the fact the 8 looks yellow and the Xs looks pink, in reality they are both quite white, again the Xs is slightly warmer in reality. The iPad Air 2 camera never won any awards for excellence, especially in low light.

The lack of brightness on the Xs is no joke in comparison to the 8, it's more pronounced in person but you can clearly see here there's no question the 8 is brighter.

[​IMG]

8. aakshey macrumors 68000

aakshey

9. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

So the oled phones are typically dimmer, have poorer viewing angles, and pwm (only affects some users). I don’t think that’s worth the upsides. I’d love a XS with a lcd screen.

10. ke-iron macrumors 65816

I think the iPhones actually reach peak brightness in auto mode and in direct sunlight. Not really sure why I think that, must have read it somewhere before

11. puma1552 thread starter Suspended

Well, this is embarrassing.

Turns out auto brightness was on, and apparently setting the brightness to max through control center doesn't override that setting and it still will only result in some pseudo max brightness based on ambient lighting? Was looking at the phone again and was just like there is NO way it's this dim, went to look through the settings again, found the auto brightness, turned it off and the display got brighter instantly even though I had already maxed out the control center slider just before this. I thought manually setting the slider in control center to max would actually, you know, give me max brightness regardless of if auto brightness was on or off - guess not.

In any regard, it is equally as bright as my 8 now, but just a little warmer. I feel stupid.

[​IMG]
    --- Post Merged, Oct 13, 2018 ---
    That's right. I think since the 8/X they cap at 500 nits with auto brightness off, and the only way to get to the full 625 nits is to have autobrightness on.

12. jtrue28 macrumors 6502a

jtrue28

13. Relentless Power, Oct 14, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Check your settings. Basically, _exactly_ what I said earlier is what OLED is, Which is warmer compared to LCD.

Hence: