Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Hi all, I just heard from one of my contacts in Apple SB that the new Nehalem XServe will be more expensive than the current offerings, and won't be out until a few weeks before WWDC.

I know this isn't surprising/shocking news given the upped price (per processor) of the Mac Pro, but it may be useful info for anyone who is in the market for an XServe right now.

Cheers.

MentalFabric

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2004
Hi all, I just heard from one of my contacts in Apple SB that the new Nehalem XServe will be more expensive than the current offerings, and won't be out until a few weeks before WWDC.

I know this isn't surprising/shocking news given the upped price (per processor) of the Mac Pro, but it may be useful info for anyone who is in the market for an XServe right now.

Cheers.

Any track record of rumours from this source? :p

I'm in the market for an xserve, so thanks!

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008

Cheers.
If Apple wants to keep the 80 W TDP of the current Xserve CPUs, then the highest Nehalem clock speed that can be used is 2.53 GHz. That is cheaper than the current top-of-the line 3.0 GHz ($744 vs. $1022), so there's something else going on if there's a price increase. A switch from one Xeon ($797 2.8 GHz) to two ($746 total for 2.27 GHz) in the base configuration only gives similar prices though…

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Who knows...maybe larger hard drives included, maybe more RAM. Apple is always creative with upping the prices a bit and including more value! :p All I heard was a slightly higher price. I would be delighted to be wrong!

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
Who knows...maybe larger hard drives included, maybe more RAM. Apple is always creative with upping the prices a bit and including more value! :p All I heard was a slightly higher price. I would be delighted to be wrong!
I'm also definitely thinking more RAM (3/6 GB) and a larger HD. Improved GPUs are also a given.

But since the 10,000 (or was it 15,000?) RPM HDs and other options have disappeared from the new Mac Pro, does that mean that we'll see options removed from the upcoming Xserve?

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
I'm also definitely thinking more RAM (3/6 GB) and a larger HD. Improved GPUs are also a given.

But since the 10,000 (or was it 15,000?) RPM HDs and other options have disappeared from the new Mac Pro, does that mean that we'll see options removed from the upcoming Xserve?

Great point, and one that I was thinking about too. SAS may be a little more of a priority for XServes, so I'm hoping that they stay in.

And on a nit-picky note, I don't think there will be much of a GPU change. Maybe something different, but the standard GPU is a 64MB card with VGA out -- it isn't a priority for most so I wouldn't expect it to change much.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
And on a nit-picky note, I don't think there will be much of a GPU change. Maybe something different, but the standard GPU is a 64MB card with VGA out -- it isn't a priority for most so I wouldn't expect it to change much.
Oh yeah forgot about that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.