Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CallMeTheArrow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
http://new.mail.yahoo.com/

Sorry, Yahoo! Mail Beta does not support your browser.
You can either download a compatible browser or proceed to the original Yahoo! Mail.

If you want to use the Yahoo! Mail Beta...
You can download any of the supported browsers for free by clicking the links below:
Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher (for Windows)
Firefox 1.0 or higher (for Mac and Windows)
Mozilla 1.7 or higher (for Mac and Windows)
Netscape 7.2 or higher (for Windows)

--------------------------

Yes you can get in with Firefox on a Mac (or so it says, have not tried).

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
AnthonyKinyon said:
http://new.mail.yahoo.com/

Sorry, Yahoo! Mail Beta does not support your browser.
You can either download a compatible browser or proceed to the original Yahoo! Mail.

If you want to use the Yahoo! Mail Beta...
You can download any of the supported browsers for free by clicking the links below:
Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher (for Windows)
Firefox 1.0 or higher (for Mac and Windows)
Mozilla 1.7 or higher (for Mac and Windows)
Netscape 7.2 or higher (for Windows)

--------------------------

Yes you can get in with Firefox on a Mac (or so it says, have not tried).
they have been beta testing for almost a year, like that

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
AnthonyKinyon said:
It doesn't make it less offensive or wrong though, does it? :)
i don't feel offensive, maybe they are stupid, doesn't mean Im gonna feel bad for their fault. Seamonkey works fine tho

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Oddly, when I first visited the new Mail page with Camino, it told me that my browser wasn't supported but gave me the option to continue anyway. It seems to work just fine in Camino. However, Safari is completely blocked with no option to continue anyway. I wonder why that is.

macridah

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2004
Nor-Cal
mduser63 said:
Oddly, when I first visited the new Mail page with Camino, it told me that my browser wasn't supported but gave me the option to continue anyway. It seems to work just fine in Camino. However, Safari is completely blocked with no option to continue anyway. I wonder why that is.

That is the same message I get when I tried the yahoo mail beta on firefox. Camino probably gets the same message because camino and firefox both use mozilla's gecko engine. I just stuck to Safari and used the classic yahoo mail.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
From Yahoo Groups, some new Google services, and many other Web sites that use enhanced editing in forms, I know that Safari has real compatibility problems in this area. I don't think I'd be so quick to blame web developers for this.

Demoman

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2005
Issaquah, WA
As Apple gains more market share, expect more of this type of extortion. There was a tidy little status quo amongst the 'community'. Apple was not expected to stray far from its boundaries. It has, and everyone feels, or is convinced, Apple is becoming a threat. Soon a new thread will appear, "Apple unable to access Yahoo". The slant will be that this is Apple's fault.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
iMeowbot said:
.... I don't think I'd be so quick to blame web developers for this.
The developers are solely to blame. Browser-specific code is unnecessary and counter to the spirit the of the Web. If Yahoo Mail Beta were written to W3C standards, Safari would have no peer in its ability to properly render it. If Yahoo choses to use non-standard code, then it should warn its members and allow them to use the system at their own risk. Demoman is correct. Yahoo Mail Beta blocks Safari because its developers are Microsoft Minions or Fellow Travelers who are fighting the rising tide of Internet Explorer competitors.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Demoman said:
As Apple gains more market share, expect more of this type of extortion. There was a tidy little status quo amongst the 'community'. Apple was not expected to stray far from its boundaries. It has, and everyone feels, or is convinced, Apple is becoming a threat. Soon a new thread will appear, "Apple unable to access Yahoo". The slant will be that this is Apple's fault.
this is way off the track, maybe apple is in competition with MS, but i don't see why yahoo or google should feel apple as a threat.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
MisterMe said:
Yahoo Mail Beta blocks Safari because its developers are Microsoft Minions or Fellow Travelers who are fighting the rising tide of Internet Explorer competitors.
i wouldnt make conclusion so fast, after all, gecko is supported.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
MisterMe said:
If Yahoo choses to use non-standard code,
Wait. Safari in no way, shape or form has 100% standards support. No browser has that. And Safari has real bugs. So do all the other browsers. "Doesn't work in Safari" does not necessarily mean "not compliant with standards." That's why sniffing is still necessary.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
iMeowbot said:
Wait. Safari in no way, shape or form has 100% standards support. No browser has that. And Safari has real bugs. So do all the other browsers. "Doesn't work in Safari" does not necessarily mean "not compliant with standards." That's why sniffing is still necessary.
Safari may not be 100% W3C-standards-compliant, but it is one of only three [unique] browsers to pass the W3C's Torture Test. The other two are Opera and Real Player. The Gecko-based browsers try, but don't get as close.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
MisterMe said:
Safari may not be 100% W3C-standards-compliant, but it is one of only three [unique] browsers to pass the W3C's Torture Test.
What test suite is that? The W3C have many of them. Safari does really poorly with the CSS 2 test suite.

Check out their ECMAscript tests (right-hand column), they don't even run on Safari.

If you are referring to Acid2 (the smile test), it's an unofficial feel-good test that only checks a relative few features.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
MisterMe said:
Safari may not be 100% W3C-standards-compliant, but it is one of only three [unique] browsers to pass the W3C's Torture Test. The other two are Opera and Real Player. The Gecko-based browsers try, but don't get as close.
I don't think Real Player has its own rendering engine. So I think right now, only two, not three browsers passed Acid2 Test.
And Gecko Browser did NOT try to pass it, if you read the reply from their developer, they just think its not a very important issue in front of them, so they are planing to implement it in FX version 3, not up coming version 2.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
MisterMe said:
The developers are solely to blame. Browser-specific code is unnecessary and counter to the spirit the of the Web. If Yahoo Mail Beta were written to W3C standards, Safari would have no peer in its ability to properly render it. If Yahoo choses to use non-standard code, then it should warn its members and allow them to use the system at their own risk. Demoman is correct. Yahoo Mail Beta blocks Safari because its developers are Microsoft Minions or Fellow Travelers who are fighting the rising tide of Internet Explorer competitors.

The Developers of Safari are to blame. They're not using browser-specific code, but using new code that will soon become web-standard that Safari hasn't fully been updated for. Safari is so far behind the other browsers in terms of accordance and compliance that it's ridiculous. There's really no reason for it to be so far behind, but it is.

Counter

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2005
Install the debug menu in Safari and change what it reports itself as to something else. In you go with Safari.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
well if you think about it. It is all a numbers game. Safari is the engine is the least used of the major ones out there. At less than 5%. it was impossible to get over that number. Gecko, and IE are the major browser engines out there so those will be supported but Safari has such a small market share it just is not going to be focused on.

now with safari for windows things should start changing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.