Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andrew D.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
Chicago, IL
So going into this new year I've been thinking about getting back into console gaming. I used to have an Xbox 360 and loved it while Gears of War was out, unfortunately I sold it due to not having much time to enjoy it being a college student and all.

So now I'm looking at buying another one, with all these sweet bundles out it's hard to pass up. Right now it seems the only reasons that are pulling me in is Halo 3, Oblivion (loved that game), and since everyone I hang out with all have one. I don't really think those are good reasons at all so I guess I'm asking will it be worth it for those reasons alone?

I've also been thinking of just sticking with my MacBook Pro and running Windows through Boot Camp to play certain PC games. I know Gears of War is out for PC already and it would be nice to know if Halo 3 is on it's way there too.

So I guess it all comes down to this; Xbox 360 gaming or stick it out with running Windows through my MacBook Pro. Any advice would be great, you guys always pull through. Once again my apologies if this type of thread has been introduced to the forum stream of topics, please delete or close if anything. Thanks again!

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
I'd get the console. It'll be viable for playing the latest games long after your MBP will, and there'll never be anything to set up; just buy the disk and pop it in. Personally, I'd go for the 360. My brother brought his over and we played Call of Duty 4 online, which was hellafun.

spyker3292

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
Michigan
Yes, go with a console. You could always look into the other systems too ;). But PC games end up needing new hardware, which you can't really install in a MBP. And consoles just need a disk to play :D. (As previously said).

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
If you want to play Halo 3 get a 360. Look how long it took for Halo 2 to make it to PC. Do you really want to wait 3 years ?

johny5

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2007
UK
Deffo get the 360, I still love the original Need For Speed Underground with all those cop chases!
Its hard to keep up to date with the pc gaming hardware and its sooo damn expensive, I also doubt that a Mac other than a beefy pro would come near the 360 capabilities.
Live subscription is also a plus!

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
Yep - go with the console. Looking back, I'm quite amazed at the money I used to splurge on PC gaming.

A £30 game would often lead to a £250 graphics card upgrade. So, really, that game cost me £280. Did I really get value for money out of that? Not to mention that every so often I'd need a CPU upgrade (usually leading to a new motherboard and faster/more RAM) -- so occasionally, a new game could cost £400 or more. Insane.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Well that depends on how much and often you spend on upgrades. I'd only buy a new graphics card every 3 or so years, get a mid-range £150 one and I'd be sorted. I've always bought good CPUs from the get go (aka intel). I need a high end system for work too so it's not like expensive upgrades go to gaming only.

Plus factor in HDTV cost, cables, online, average price of game being much more. Consoles aren't always cheapest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.