New Year. New Gear.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Maddler, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Maddler macrumors member

So I just got an email from Apple entitled "New year. New gear."

It promotes some of the pro apps and recommends purchasing before December 31st for a deduction. Did they choose that title just to tease, or maybe it's a sign that the new gear is arriving in January and that I should buy old gear if I really want a deduction and the good feeling of helping Apple to clear it's inventory of old gear?

2. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

3. Octobot macrumors regular

Octobot

4. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I thought it was something new that came out... like new Cinema's or new updated MBPs and MacPros that wouldn't ship until January. I deleted the message right after I saw that it wasn't.

I hope that this is Apple's attempt at clearing inventory for the new year, like MS did with their brown Zunes... charging a hundred bucks for a 30GB turd music player.

I hope that Apple has a large shipment of Penryn Mac Pros coming soon, and Dual 2.6 GHz MacBook Pros.

5. Maddler thread starter macrumors member

6. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

7. Octobot macrumors regular

Octobot

Ya I agree..
    'tis the season.. apple has its sales teams in full force.. to clear as much inventory before new product releases.. they will.

(thx for the screen cap)

8. SpaceJello macrumors 6502

Isn't it weird that Apple just mentions the Macbook Pro and iMac for our creative needs....? What happened to the Mac Pro? There are some of us that need the power :D

9. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

I think thats an ACD.

10. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

Yeah they ACD is picture, but it says that the MBP and iMac are the ultimate creative machines... yeah it really is strange. Say MacBook and iMac if going for consumers, or say MBP and MP if going for pros. :confused:

11. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Maybe they are dropping the Mac Pro!!! Or maybe, they are just not mentioning it because it is indeed outdated as they mention the iMac and Macbook Pro as "amazing upgrade," or whatever.

12. takao macrumors 68040

takao

haha well i would love that ... just for the rampage which would occur in here

13. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

They aren't dropping it, but it would be an embarrassment to call the Mac Pro an upgrade. More like an upgrade to a year and a half ago.

14. G4DP macrumors 65816

Looking forward to the release - when ever it shall be.

I've got CS3 Master just dying to be let free on a MacPro. If it's the new year then so be it, but god I would love to have a MacPro sizew box under the tree on 25th Dec.

What's santa's address again - sjobs@apple.com?

15. KevinPlusPlus macrumors member

I received this promo email today, too, and interestingly where the one shown above says "iMac" mine says "Mac Pro."

16. OnePumpChump macrumors regular

OnePumpChump

HA HA HA. Not funny.:eek:

17. HDproducer macrumors member

same email

I got the email as well, and mine said Mac Pro.

Attached Files:

18. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

Intresting...this is unfolding like an movie.

We just need a thrilling end soon!

19. austriamac macrumors newbie

What should I do

I´m starting a new business and would like to purchase a MacPro and a MacBookPro right now....Reading this threat i doubt if I should wait until january... What do you think? :confused:

20. snowleopard macrumors newbie

For those of us who own businesses, or are self-employed, and waiting for Penryn's, if they do not arrive by Dec 31st it's going to be a real disappointment tax wise.

I'd love to call up that advisory line of Apple's and spit out what I do and hear them try to sell me a 16 month old Woodcrest. Right.

21. Bastich macrumors regular

Always wait until after a big show. Macworld San Fran is Jan. 15, so a month and a half won't kill you. But you will kill yourself if you buy now and they announce bigger/better/faster machines for the same price within weeks of your purchase. Happened to me years ago, and I still have scars...

B)

22. chameleon macrumors regular

chameleon

I'm in the same boat. I want a new Mac Pro before December 31st so I can take that $$$ off my income for 2007. Having to wait until MWSF means carrying another $3,500 of profit on the books, and dear old Uncle Sam will take 15% of it.

In other words, the $3,500 I have set aside for a new Mac Pro on December 31st turns in to $2,975 on January 1st. :mad:

Worst case, I'll probably just buy $3,500 in Apple Gift Cards to get the money spent in 2007, the pray like hell that they actually do release a new Mac Pro on January 15th. If they wait till NAB in April or the WWDC in June, I will be furious.

23. cwc123188 macrumors regular

Now that Apple has emptied their refurbished Mac Pro stock (as can be deduced from recent refurb store activity), the yet-another Amazon rebate end date, MP stars could align for next Tuesday(12/3/2007). :)

I genuinely can't picture Apple rolling out new Mac Pros with Penryn, Ultra-Portable Macbook, and perhaps even Penryn Macbook Pros all at MWSF '08. Not to mention on the software side they may have iPhone SDK preview, iTunes Store updates(movie rentals, HD, etc.).

24. HDproducer macrumors member

What is your business and can you function without the Macs? I am waiting because I already have enough computers to get my work done. I have set aside some money for a new machine so I am ready to buy, but I am still working. (Except when I am perusing these forums). I certainly could not be putting everything on hold until Jan. or March or June.

Also consider your future purchasing plans. I bought a new imac when they updated them rather than waiting until next summer like I had planned. This has helped me bridge the gap until I can get the new MP. The imac will be for QC, billing and scheduling, and has more than enough power for that.

Finally, I am surprised no one has mentioned it yet, but the current models are very good (even if they are old and over priced for their components...) But how much business are you losing by not having one? $100 per month? $1500 per month? Nothing? If your losing out on $1500 per month and you wait to buy you could be out $3000 or more. Buy the bottom of the line Mac now and you can still make that money. It's all a numbers game not a matter of just getting what you want. If you don't buy now and you lose out on that income then you will be kicking yourself. If there is no risk of losing out on money and clients and you can wait then wait.

25. Graphis macrumors member

Why? Why have such an overreaction? There'll always be a better/bigger/faster machine out there 99% of the time, so why beat yourself up over it? Is it really that important to you to have the absolute best machine on the planet? Surely what's important is to have the best machine you can afford that will do what you want it to do at the time you want it, no more no less?
    I'm getting an 8 core Mac Pro before the end of the year, no matter what; if a new machine comes out a couple of weeks later, what's the big deal? All I want is a good machine that will do what I want and have a working life of, say, 5 years. When it's near death, I'll buy another.
    After all, why worry about resale value? By the time I'm ready for a new machine, it won't be worth much anyway, just like my G4, even with its dual processor and souped up graphics card. Who'll buy a G4 now? It isn't about "value for money", the Mac Pro will be brand new whether I buy it tomorrow or in a month/2 months/3 months. Sure, if there was a definite date for an upgrade, of up to a month away, then maybe I'd wait, just to see what was on offer. But the current 8 core will do me just fine, and it might even come down in price when there's an upgrade. It's not vitally important for me that I have the latest/best machine out there, and I suspect that's true of most people.