New Year Resolutions 2015

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Apple fanboy, Dec 25, 2014.

1. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

So reading back on last years thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1690080

I think to floss more was the most popular!

So are you making any if so what are they?

I've put weight on again this year, despite eating more healthy. (Ive been seeing the Doctor about that one)
    My alcohol has dropped a little on last year. I drink about once a week. Not that much.

So I'd like to find a new job this year and travel more for the photography I do.

So what are yours?

2. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

3. xMacFeinx macrumors newbie

xMacFeinx

I got a gym membership and started working out 6 months ago, so that when I made it my New Years Resolution I already had the ball going; and wouldn't be disappointed if I missed a day or two in the gym. Which brings me to my resolution..

Step my gym game up. Been going 3 to 4 days a week. I want 5 days a week, a full hour+ of exercise. Its a realistic goal that I KNOW I can do.

My other resolution would be to put others before myself. And thats something I need to majorly work on.

Happy Holidays..

4. Ariii macrumors 6502a

Ariii

Find a job/way to make money, get straight a's, get into shape, win at least one music competition, compose a piece, and get good at digital art.

(i don't expect even one to come true)

5. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I normally don’t make new year’s resolutions, IMO I’m nearly perfect so why mess about.

But because of something my youngest granddaughter said over christmas, I’m going to break a habit of a lifetime.

From now on I will not say something is **** or ****, if it’s just not my taste, or I’m not the target audience.:eek:

This is not to say that I will have to like Hip Hop or the Twilight movies but I will refrain from negative comments.;)

This of course does not cover Adam Sandler and Jennifer Aniston movies which are not only **** but also **** and are worthy of my undying hatred. :cool:

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I have historically never made a New Year's Eve Resolution. I think they're silly and usually beyond reasonable expectations.
    However..

I am cutting the TV portion of Cable this year.
    It's time. In the past it was hard to do with family members dedicated to that darn clicker.

It's not actually the content ( or lack thereof ) on TV. It's more of a habitual ritual of sitting there holding a device that can allow one to watch something that gives them instant pleasure.

Now with all the streaming services out there I'm gonna cut it and hope people get used to a different kind of "clicker"

7. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

I think I was one of the ones mentioning flossing. Didn't do so great at that because I still have my wisdom teeth so it's difficult, but I think I stand a much better chance this year.

Until posting my thing last year, I didn't really keep resolutions, but just putting the resolutions out there, really helped. I saw measurable improvement. So I'll be doing this again.

My main resolution & heart's desire was to draw. every. day. Mostly did pretty well with that one, except for a couple existential crises "--Why draw? Why draw at all?" (Like the past couple days :rolleyes:) Mostly this was digital and there has been a noted improvement in learning several different digital graphics apps, so yay. It worked, helped a lot.

Expected to have dabbled more in 3D, but no.

Hoped to read more. Yes! That happened. Very pleased with that.

Hoped to extend my ability to focus. Recently found an old Logic Puzzle book and my brain isn't as horribly fuzzy as it was over the past 5 or 6 years, so improvement there too. Yay.

So for 2015: Be kinder (I like that one from citizenzen), keep drawing every day, floss more, keep reading more, focus more, try 10 3D tuts. Throw out more stuff.

8. brentmore macrumors 6502

brentmore

9. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I'd like to not eat out as often. It's not an issue of needing to lose weight I just spend a toooooon of money eating out that I could put toward more vacations or toys. :)

10. Jws macrumors regular

Here are mine:

- I've lost a lot of weight in 2014, but there are a few more pounds I would like to lose.
    - Pass my last part (Reg) of the CPA exam
    - Run a 5k in under 28 minutes (I'm slow)
    - Improve my cycling
    - Try to eat healthier and eat less fast food/prepackaged food
    - Journal more frequently.

Most of them are fitness-related... I think they are all viable accomplishments for me.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have goals which I consider different then resolutions. To me Resolutions are promises that I do something differently. Goals are things I'm looking to accomplish.

For instance, in 2014, i wanted to do a half marathon, I accomplished this in the fall, this coming year I go up for my Black Belt exam. These are my goals.

As for resolutions, I have none. I strive to be a better person each year, treating others with love and respect. I seem to fail this often enough that I have to keep working at it.

12. yjchua95 macrumors 604

In my case...

1. Shave off 5 kilograms (I'm 6ft 2in, and am currently 85 kg). I used to be thinner, but ever since I moved to Melbourne, I gained weight. Too much good food there.

And that's about my only resolution :D

13. vulcanvillalta macrumors 6502

resolutions:
    1) Continue exercising.
    2) work on learning/reading mandarin
    3) vacuum more often.

14. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Happybunny, posts like this make me laugh aloud. Well said, and beautifully written.

15. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

As a rule, I don't do, or make, 'New Year' resolutions. To be honest, I find a lot of the ritual surrounding this practice to be maybe trite, or self-righteous, or worse still, leavened with an unhealthy dose of self-flagellation.

However, I do use the dying days, the dog days, of the Old Year, when it is dark, and still, when time seems suspended and normal routines and obligations have been disrupted or deferred, to take stock, mull things over, and think things through. It is a good time for some deep solitary thinking.

Perhaps, after all, this is the very same thing as a proverbial "New Year's Resolution', it is just that it may be called by another name…….

16. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

My New's Resolution is to stay healthy. I need to be more vigilant in my diet, weight, and general mental awareness that I'm getting older. I'm very young at heart (I'm 62), but in reality my body is starting to show it's age. Scary isn't it?. I remember the days I felt immortal. Those days are gone unfortunately. I should be glad I have no major illnesses.So what I'm saying is I'm going to be more aware of my well being.. That's my New Year's resolution..

17. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

18. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

As do I.

When you are in your late teens, or early twenties, bursting with energy and brimful of life, you feel life could go on forever and that you are, indeed, immortal.

And then, one day, something or someone makes you realise that you are not.

19. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Man, I'm 27 and everything hurts after workouts. :(

20. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

You said it my friend. I wish I was as graceful with words as you.

----------

Wiseguy!! LOL!!

21. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

22. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I think that everything is supposed to hurt after workouts.

Indeed, I have long thought that much of what people choose to do to themselves (or choose to put themselves through) in the gym was a variant on masochism.

Then, again, maybe some people choose to 'feel the pain' to remind themselves that they are alive, or to offer challenges to their body.

Me, I have never darkened the door of a gym in my life, (at least, not since I left school when it was compulsory) but each to their own.