New York City - where to live? Need advice from locals!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by zen, Mar 25, 2009.

1. zen macrumors 68000

zen

...or at least those familiar with the place.

I might, maybe, possibly, could be, considering moving to work at my company's NYC office. Maybe. Eventually. No current plans, but the possibility is there. All hypothetical.

But I like to have assimilated all available data well ahead of time.

It's at 330 Madison Avenue.

So... if you were an office worker with a slightly above-average salary, where would you live that's not a ridiculous commute? I've never lived in a big city and am not keen on city living (eg, high-rise apartment). I have a cat, and I'd like some outdoors - not necessarily a garden or anything, but at least a neighbourhood with trees and grass that my wife and I could safely walk around.

I've only been to NYC once, and only for a few hours, but I've been to the US before several times (and loved it each time).

I realise this is quite a broad question, but any advice, specific, general or otherwise, would be really useful.

2. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

since you will be working so close to grand central station you could easily commute from stamford ct. then you could have your outdoors etc.

3. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

Which one of these places do you work for?

4. zen thread starter macrumors 68000

zen

None of the above! I assume it's a pretty big building, and my company is relatively small fry!

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Is that any of your concern, though?
    ;)

6. zen thread starter macrumors 68000

zen

Hmm, plus cheaper as well, in terms of rent, etc?

7. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Erm, alphabet city? When I stayed in Manhattan for a couple of months, I stayed there. Was quite nice as the buildings were low rise, and there were plenty of funky events around. Rents in NYC are horrendous, and having a bit of spare cash for going out, restaurants etc helps. (Alphabet city was a bit cheaper than the usual).

Also it's a big help being able to walk / cycle to work. You can take in the parks etc on your way to and from work. Being able to avoid long hours on public transport really improves the quality of life in a city.

8. zen thread starter macrumors 68000

zen

That might win the contest for most awesome neighbourhood name I've ever heard!

I guess what you pay extra in rent by being so close is partially countered by not having to fork out for public transport, plus a walkable commute is good exercise.

9. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

I would recommend Hoboken, NJ. It is just across the Hudson river.

I have a friend that in Hoboken, living in a lovely apartment overlooking Manhattan. I have stayed there a couple of times, and it is nice and quiet, has green space, feels safe but there are still lots of nice bars and restaurants around.

I realise it is not in NYC, but you can get the Path straight into NYC in minutes, or a bus direct to Port Authority which is also very quick. You can even jump on a commuter ferry!

For somebody not keen on 'big city living', I think it would be perfect.

10. zen thread starter macrumors 68000

zen

Yeah, a friend of mine mentioned Hoboken as well.

I guess this is all academic - what I really need to do is try and snag a work trip over to the NYC office and do some snooping!

11. PCsucks macrumors member

come to brooklyn you will see the real side of NYC:cool:

12. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Right arkitect, but now he knows who the OP doesn't work for. :rolleyes:

(Back to Google theDUB, you ol' stalker you.) :p

13. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

:p
    People are very lax about their online privacy and faaar too trusting of strangers' intentions…

"'allo luv. Wanna sweetie?"

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Dear god! Midtown? Yucko! That's tourist central. I say no to that.

If I were you, I'd try for something in Lower Manhattan- Greenwich or the East Village. Either that or Williamsburg, Brooklyn. Both are cool areas.

15. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I stayed in NYC once for work, it was the only time I've been there so you'll have to bear with me here.

The part of town I was in was near the Brooklyn Bridge, on the manhattan side. In fact, my hotel was practically underneath the bridge and I was across the street from the Fulton Fish market. I spent an afternoon walking around the area, visited the Trade Centers site, Battery Park etc. I liked the area near battery park the best! Seemed like a pretty cool place to live!

But apart from that I know nothing about the rent rates etc!

SLC

16. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i don't like big cities but i stayed in NYC for a while for business. the thing with Manhattan is that you need to be in Manhattan or you're disconnected from it entirely. So commuting from outside defies the point of working in Manhattan. Manhattan is too intense to just work there and ignore the rest. You won't be happy there and commuting makes you even more miserable.

I would suggest get a business trip and add a weekend and see how it feel to you. The when you move there move into Manhattan. The area around NYU is Nice, some nice parks, reasonably safe, well connected to everything and of course expensive. But in the first year you connect to people, learn about the city, enjoy the bars, opera, museums and all that. Even if you don't like big cities you will definitely enjoy the first year.

After that you either stay or decide to commute. But you will have friends and a better idea from where to commute.

Regarding the outdoors: In about 1.5 hrs you're in New Paltz north of NYC. A great area for outdoors, biking, hiking, climbing and getting fresh air. There will be a lot of people but you can find lonely spots. Great weekend escape for you and family. It's not that you are locked in a concrete desert in Manhattan. It's surprisingly easy to get out at weekends.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Untrue- Brooklyn is a great place and the only place I'd ever live in NYC. Manhattan has become overrun and far too yuppie, with the exception of some parts of Lower Manhattan.

18. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

cheaper than midtown manhattan, more expensive than harlem. it depends on what you're looking for and since you want outdoors...

19. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

alphabet city isnt really walkable for a commute to grand central

20. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

disagreed

21. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

The Green Point area of Brooklyn is really nice and affordable. If you can afford it, so is the Lower East Side (but it tends to be expensive).

22. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Studios in manhattan will run you $1500+...you can find cheaper stuff in the boroughs but then you have to commute (and the MTA just announced service cuts & rate hikes! :mad:). I've been partial to the financial district recently...a lot of the downtown feel without the 'tude you get in the village.

Personally given your situation I'd try to finagle a bigger apartment (maybe in a brownstone?!) in Brooklyn. There are some very nice neighborhoods there.

As for Stamford as mentioned above...Connecticut (my home state woo!) is very nice, though expensive, but Stamford is an hour-ish out of the city on the train and you will pay a couple thousand $/year on train tickets.

A lot of finding a place to live around the city is the give and take between commute length and availability of green space...that's ultimately a decision you'll have to make yourself.

23. Redefine9D macrumors newbie

Can you hook me up with a job? ;)

24. bentley macrumors 6502

Brooklyn Heights is super nice and an easy commute.

25. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Queens has several nice neighborhoods that are along the E/F train lines which makes them an easy commute into Manhattan. Check out Forest Hills/Kew Gardens/Rego Park.