Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple this week opened its newest Apple Store in New York City, Apple The Mall at Bay Plaza, which also happens to be the first Apple retail location in the Bronx.

bronx-apple-store.jpg

Apple Store aficionado Michael Steeber teamed up with Storeteller for a virtual 360-degree walkthrough of the new location, giving us an in-depth look at the features and improvements that Apple has brought to its latest Apple Store.

Apple The Mall at Bay Plaza may look similar to most other Apple retail locations, but it has a unique feature - a dedicated Pickup Zone. The Pickup Zone is a permanent installation within the store, featuring a dedicated table where customers can get their new devices from employees and more interestingly, a wall of built-in drawers where all the pickup orders are housed.

bronx-apple-store-pickup-zone.jpg

In most Apple retail locations, employees must go to the back to retrieve orders that have been placed for in-store pickup, but that won't be the case with Apple The Mall at Bay Plaza, and it is the first store with this setup rather than a Forum area.

Along with the Pickup Zone, the store also features an area with round tables for training, and a series of Forum displays. There are leather seats along the walls for those waiting for Genius Bar appointments, and the front of the store is outfitted with sliding glass doors.

Make sure to check out the full store walkthrough to get a feel for the new design.

Article Link: New York City's Newest Apple Store Features Dedicated Pickup Zone

• Angry
Reactions: tonyr6

FasterQuieter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2008
I used to love Apple stores 10+ years ago. I find them busy and stressful now. The whole Genius Bar experience used to be fun. Now it feels like waiting at the dentist. A dentist where you can't find the receptionist. The only time I ever go "into" one is if I'm early for a train at Grand Central station. That one feels kind of like it's outside. If there's a product I've not seen in person, I'll have a very quick look there then rush out.

nvmls

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2011
I used to love Apple stores 10+ years ago. I find them busy and stressful now. The whole Genius Bar experience used to be fun. Now it feels like waiting at the dentist. A dentist where you can't find the receptionist. The only time I ever go "into" one is if I'm early for a train at Grand Central station. That one feels kind of like it's outside. If there's a product I've not seen in person, I'll have a very quick look there then rush out.
Well most stores are amazing so they get packed easily. I agree the experience could be somewhat smoother but unless they overhaul it they can't do much.

citysnaps

macrumors G3
Oct 10, 2011
San Francisco

Apple stores have always been a good experience for me.

I remember when Microsoft thought it would be a great idea to put in a Microsoft Store close to Apple's Store in Palo Alto's Stanford Shopping Center. Walk by the Apple store and it was full of energy and customers. Walk by Microsoft's and it was usually dead empty except for a handful of blue shirt employees and a kid playing Xbox.

Not very good optics.

rcopus

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2010
In Westfield London, Apple have a dedicated unit separate to the store which is designed like a bank cashier/post office type set up.
They have had this for ages.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Finally they need to learn from Amazon. It’s annoying picking up products at apple store having to wait and stand in line. Literally have a code, a box, tell them your on your way, they place the item in the box. You scan and open. How hard can it be apple you sophisticated tech company. You built a sound space ship in a city you can do better. Haha

zakarhino

macrumors demi-god
Sep 13, 2014
Berkeley

Yes and don't even get me started on trying to find someone to pay for an item. The whole experience is terrible now except for a handful of the original key ideas like the way the devices are sitting on tables for you to try out.

Reactions: DesertDrummer

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
This story is way late story.
Sent in tip couple of days ago to MR on this.
Unfortunately, I know this location, used to live within walking distance.
Will be prone to high thievery inside and out.
Only saving grace it's hard to get to from outside neighborhood by public transportation.
Should have picked location in Riverdale, Bronx.

pubb

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2007
This story is way late story.
Sent in tip couple of days ago to MR on this.
Unfortunately, I know this location, used to live within walking distance.
Will be prone to high thievery inside and out.
Only saving grace it's hard to get to from outside neighborhood by public transportation.
Should have picked location in Riverdale, Bronx.
Damn straight. Co-op City location? Jeebus. It's going to be mayhem. Ten bucks says that store doesn't last.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.