New York Early Morning Traffic

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by arthursiew, Jan 31, 2010.

1. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

I was wondering how much it would cost to take a cab from Times Square to JFK. I know it's $45 flat rate to get to Manhattan from JFK, but I'm not sure about the other way around. My flight will be 7 in the morning on June 18th and I'll probably be getting on the cab at around 5-5:30AM. Any traffic around then?

2. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

I think it's flat rate to all the airports.

You should be just fine at 5AM.

3. MAYA7J7 macrumors newbie

pretty sure he's right

4. arthursiew thread starter macrumors 6502

arthursiew

No, I read from many websites that it's not the same from Manhattan to JFK.

5. acurafan macrumors 6502a

6. arthursiew thread starter macrumors 6502

arthursiew

I also saw the rates for the Car Services like Dial 7. They say 3 bags is the maximum for their smallest car. Do you think whichever car service company I choose will care if I end up bringing more baggage than I stated? I will be traveling with three others (myself not included).

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You should be fine with that rate, especially early in the day. There will be next to no traffic. Do yourself a favor and leave from LaGuardia or Newark next time. JFK is a nightmare.

They won't care about baggage, as long as it fits in the car.

8. King Mook Mook macrumors 6502

I completely agree! When I went to New York JFK was a nightmare and I've heard that it is always like that, but when I left from LaGuardia, it was better (not perfect but better) and it was much easier to get to.

And there will be next to no traffic at that time in the morning.

King Mook Mook

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

PS Times Square Subway station is connected to 42nd street on the A line.

11. djellison macrumors 68020

And you get a nice view of NYC on the way back out again. It's the way I have ( and would again ) do it. We took it from Penn Station which was about 4 blocks from our hotel.

12. splitpea macrumors 6502a

13. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

The subway is a pain to drag bags along. The A train gets you close and the air train takes you the rest of the way into JFK.

Same with LIRR, although a little more comfortable, you take the LIRR (Penn Station - 34th St. between 7th and 8th Ave) to Jamaica Station, then go up the escalators at the end of the platform and go into the air train terminal.

Cab is just more convenient, jump in and arrive at your destination. When you grab a cab, just tell the porter you want a mini-van or something to fit the four of you and all of your luggage. Shouldn't be an issue.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

That is also an option and Penn Station is at 34th Street on the A-line, though I believe it only goes hourly late at night.

If you only have a suitcase and a small backpack it should be fine, there wont be that many people on the subway at that time (though it is safe) so you should be able to prop up your bag on a seat. If you have a couple of cases each or you have difficultly carrying your bags (I don't know how old you are or anything) then a taxi would definitely be the best option.

Certainly you can decide this in June when you get to Manhattan :).

Now even if you don't use the Subway to get to the airport you should use it while you are there as you get to see another side to the city that you would otherwise miss.

This looks to be good advice too :).

15. mstrze macrumors 68000

I like taking the trains too. One annoying thing about LGA...NO train/subway connection. You have to hop on a bus for the last 2 miles of the trip (or the first 2 if you are arriving at LGA)

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Super Shuttle. From their website, I found it would cost you $18 (w/o tip) for a shared ride to JFK from Times Square in their 11-person van. You can schedule your pickup online and even pay a tip ahead of time should you desire. SS also calls and e-mails you ahead of time of pickup so you can be ready and waiting when the shuttle arrives. I have used them many times without issue. It's a great way to get to and from the airports in every major city.

www.supershuttle.com

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

That is a bit of a pain, I remember I had to wander around the airport to find the entrance as I think I went on the wrong bus :eek:.

The thing is that there are 4 of them, so a taxi will work out cheaper than that ;).

Why would you pay a tip ahead of time? :p.

17. mstrze macrumors 68000

Did not see that there was going to be more than one person...

And I rarely carry cash so I like to be able to tip on the card. Although I agree it's backwards. Yet, since some people says 'TIPS' stands for "To Insure Proper Service" the only way one can insure proper service would be to tip ahead of time, no?...a tip at the end won't insure you proper service next time. Unless you are definitely going with the same establishment and get the same person serving you AND they remember you tip well. ;)

Course, you can take back a tip in this case...or maybe you can.

Again...long story short...I rarely carry cash if I can help it. :cool:

18. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

The Taxis in NYC have card readers in them now. You can just swipe the card at the end of the trip. Works out well if your going to expense it at work anyway.