New York Hostels (and staying at Hostels in general)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by maestro55, Oct 9, 2009.

1. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

So after many months of talking about going and visiting a friend of mine who is studying at Rutgers in Jersey we have finally found a good time. Christmas week. People I know who have been to New York before say that is fun time to be in New York and with that said it is the week that my friend is done with finals, and I can mix holiday and vacation time to get the entire week off. So my current plan is to stay in Jersey my first three days and then take public transportation with her into New York City. Though she leaves the morning of the 23rd to go back to be with her family in Maryland. I could come back to Texas but it is actually much cheaper to fly back to Texas on the 25th and with that said it would be nice to have a couple extra days in New York City. So I was thinking, the best way to get the full experience would be to stay at a hostel. I mean I surely can't afford a hotel in New York city. I was looking at Candy Hostel as one option where they have private rooms with shared bathrooms for $63 a night.

I would love though advice from people who have stayed at hostels and certainly those who have stayed at ones in New York. Any advice in general would be nice on the trip.

2. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

I've stayed at the YHA hostel in New York City (which is the largest hostel in the USA). It's okay, clean and the rooms were fine. I can't remember the price though - it was a few years ago now.

3. maestro55 thread starter macrumors 68030

maestro55

I am currently looking at Royal Park Hotel and Candy Hostel. Both offer private rooms with shared bathrooms in the $55-$65 dollar range.

West Side Inn also looks promising. Both Candy Hostel and West Side in are very close to Subway Stations.