Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac 2005

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
Chicago
What is the quickest and least expensive way to get from JFK to LGA? I want to avoid a cab because of the cost but finding alternatives on Google isn't as easy as I'd thought.

Is there a train or bus shuttle that leaves every 15 or every 30 minutes? Do I need to make a reservation with a company in advance, or can I just show up.

At this point, I have 3 hours to clear international customs, claim my luggage and get to LGA from JFK. Is that enough time?

(I'm arriving at 11 a.m. on a Saturday. My flight out of LGA is at 2 p.m.)

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
given the time restrictions, i think your best shot is by far taking a cab.
it should be only around 25$, and on sat morning it shouldn't be too bad traffic-wise.

the direct bus will be around 12-15$ IIRC.

the cheapest way would be airtrain to jamaica station, then the E line to roosevelt avenue and then free-transfer on the q33 bus to LGA, for 7$ total (5 airtrain+ 2 subway/bus ticket).
hard to know how long would it take though, it varies a lot, probably between 30 min and 1 hour depending on connections, but i am guessing.

mac 2005

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
Chicago
You need better Google-Fu

http://www.nyairportservice.com/jfk_lga_jfk.html

EDIT: FWIW 3 hours seems tight, considering they want you at the airport 90 minutes before the flight, and a direct run from JFK to LGA will take you 45 minutes+. (The shuttle I linked claims 1 hr.) This leaves you only 30 minutes to clear customs @ JFK.

B

Does "fu" mean "follow-up" or something else? ;)

Thanks for the tip. I looked a bit farther down the search results page, and I found the link you mentioned. I'd overlooked it on my first pass.

You're right about the 3 hours, so I rescheduled my departure out of LGA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.