New York Restaurants (and Williamsburg)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by sreedy, Jul 14, 2008.

1. sreedy macrumors 6502a

I have had a look through the many "Visiting New York" threads on this forum but have yet to find the piece of advice I am looking for, so have started this thread.

As you can tell from the title I am looking for some restaurant recommendation in New York for September, basically my wife and I are meeting my parents in New York and it's my Dad's birthday the 2nd day we are there (he's 63). We are staying in Mid-Town but will be travelling about so anywhere is probably good, looking for somewhere we can sit down and enjoy and good meal with wine/drink without being rushed. He's a big fan of Seafood although this is not essential.

Thanks in advance.

PS. If there is anyone who is from/knows Williamsburg we are there too and that's their Ruby Wedding Anniversary so somewhere nice there would be good to know too.

2. souldawg macrumors member

How about an extremely nice lunch at a 4 star restaurant that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? Jean Georges is in midtown west - $28 prixe fixe lunch with dessert at $12 afterwards.

You get an amuse bouche, two courses, dessert *you have to order Johnny Z's creations* and then petit fours and tea/coffee. It's four stars that at dinner would normally cost you a small fortune. The menu is fab, the dining room during lunch is gorgeous - the light streams in from across the park and Columbus Circle. Plus, you aren't rushed. Everything is timed perfectly to where you aren't left waiting for food, but it isn't shoved down your throat.

I use this as my secret "I'm spending a fotune on you but not really" to impress for business clients. The other restaurants in the JG emprire are equally nice and amazing. Big fan.

3. sreedy thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

for tapas and sangria try Tia Pol in chelsea. Tapas are so good and the sangria is great too. Its a small, intimate place and worth the wait for a table. Recommendation: they have one large table for a reservation of 6. reserve that and avoid the wait

5. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

For seafood I always head to City Crabs - excellent food & service.
    Now keep in mind I'm English (like your goodself!) and the exchange rate is heavily in our favour, but last time I was over there I went to Gordon Ramsey's Maze at The London. Flawless small plates concept meal which was well priced, it's the wine/alcohol in general which is overpriced. Still, worth a recommendation.

6. sreedy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Great advice fella, checking them out now, City Crab looks great!

7. djellison macrumors 68020

Hmm - I'm sure I posted a reply to this thread, but it never showed up.

Three recommendations (I was in NYC about 3 weeks ago)

Upper class : http://www.marseillenyc.com/ - expensive, but stunning - a few blocks west of Time Square
    Middle class : http://www.simplypastanyc.com/media/simplypasta.html - AMAZING food, value, and atmosphere. Went twice within a week - just off Times Square
    Lower class : http://www.shakeshacknyc.com/ - prepare to queue, but for stunning burgers etc - a little south, near the Flatiron building.

8. sreedy thread starter macrumors 6502a

That looks great definity going to check that place out! Thanks for the info

Booked in to the Maze, great advice! Thanks Matey!

9. souldawg macrumors member

I live next door to Shake Shack and I love it. The lines are long but there are two lines - the long for food and the short for just frozen custards. Decide what you want but I tend to just jump the short line and get a custard. If not hit the Shack late or when it's raining. The queues magically disappeare then.

10. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

ummm this is not upper class for NYC, no offense;) Upper class would be Per Se in the Time Warner Center (Columbus Circle) Prix Fixe tasting menus start at 125. You go there for an all day celebration