New York Times App Removed From App Store in China

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacRumors, Jan 4, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Following a request from Chinese authorities, Apple in late December removed all apps from The New York Times from the App Store in China, The New York Times shared today.

According to Apple, the company was forced to remove both the English-language and Chinese-language news apps after being informed they were in "violation of local regulations."
    News apps from other publications such as The Financial Times and The Wall Street Journal remain in the Chinese App Store. The New York Times app was likely removed due to a long-standing ban in China - the site has been blocked since 2012.

Apple has not provided specific information on the local regulations the apps violated, and The New York Times has asked Apple to reconsider its decision.
    The New York Times believes the request may have been made under Provisions on the Administration of Internet Application Informations Services regulations introduced in June of 2016. Those regulations prevent apps from publishing prohibited information and "endangering national security, disrupting social order and violating the legitimate rights and interests of others."

Apple has faced censoring in China multiple times in the past, most notably being forced to shut down iTunes Movies and the iBooks Store following the release of controversial independent movie Ten Years.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: New York Times App Removed From App Store in China

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

3. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502a

Scottsoapbox

4. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

I guess Chinese are not huge fans of Pravda, I mean NY Times.

5. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

Censorship at its finest. I mean, what can you expect from a country like China.

6. Porco, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017

Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

Has the NYT app made 100 posts on Macrumors? They wouldn't be allowed to comment on here either ;)

It's a false equivalence to compare a tech forum's anti-trolling policy with a nation state's censorship of a general news service of course, but the point is let's not pretend that China is the only place where censorship occurs, even if it seems to be more egregious there to those in the West.

Here in the UK there are apparently things called D-notices that get supposedly get issued to news stations when the government wants something kept quiet.

In the US, we've seen stories about gag orders concerning matters surrounding encryption, and it would be reasonable to assume there are plenty more we haven't heard about, for obvious reasons.

All I'm saying is, to everyone, maybe let's not make it such a binary 'we good, they bad' thing. I'm not in favour of any of this kind of political censorship (and like you, I'm not saying it's that surprising of China given their track record), but likely no country on Earth is completely innocent of doing it to some degree.

7. vertical smile macrumors 68030

vertical smile

The New York Times is probably correct, but because of the source, it might be completely made up.

I feel a little bad for Apple. They badly want to get into this huge potential market, but they have to put up with the bull that goes along with doing business in China. Stories like this makes both China and Apple look bad.

8. Gasu E. macrumors 601

Gasu E.

If you agree with something they did, perhaps it's time for you to do some self-reflection.

Nah.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 4, 2017 ---

It's telling that your first reaction is to agree with an act of censorship by an unelected government.

I'm sure Fox News is appalled by this. The Fox news desk upholds traditional journalistic standards, same as the NY Times.

9. DaIfoneboss macrumors regular

Screw China seriously. I feel terrible for the folks who live in that ******** authoritarion communist ********

10. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

I never said that I agree with it, just made a joke about China and fake news. To be honest I don't really care about Chinese censorship since I don't live there. People get the government they deserve and since the CCP has been able to stay in power for many decades it looks like the majority of the population doesn't mind it.

11. samcraig macrumors P6

The ban is clearly in response to the fact that the website has been blocked since 2012 there. I'm not in support of this - but obviously if the site is banned and has been since 2012, it shouldn't be a surprise that the app was asked to be removed.

12. RedOrchestra Suspended

REALLY ... a company who cozies up to a communist dictatorship with a deplorable human rights record?

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

how many apple products do you have? :p

14. RedOrchestra Suspended

Neck deep.

15. vertical smile macrumors 68030

vertical smile

Yes, for the situation. But, you are right, Apple reaps what it sows.

Do I always agree with Apples choices on things? No, especially lately. But, I understand why Apple wants to establish itself in China, just like many other companies do. It sucks for them because they just want to do business with a potential huge market, but when stuff like this happens, Apple has bend over and take it.

Apple just continues to dig itself deeper, investing money in china, building R&D centers there. I personally would prefer for Apple to avoid China. As a consumer, I can't think of any advantage of getting involved with China. Well, unless Apple starts making its own clothing line.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I feel for all the Chinese people who appreciate good crossword puzzles.

17. jimbobb24 macrumors 6502a

This lends itself to endless humor but mostly shame on Chinese govt. The NYT is a respected publication and this just illustrates the ongoing suppression of free speech.

18. Gasu E. macrumors 601

Gasu E.

alex2792: You said, in it's entirety "I guess Chinese are not huge fans of Pravda, I mean NY Times." First reaction. It's telling. You could have said "the NY Times is crap, but this is despicable." What are your priorities? All I'm suggesting is you take a moment to think about where you are, and how you got here.

19. Sasparilla macrumors 6502a

Would have preferred if Apple had avoided the market altogether as Google was forced to choose. However once a big chunk of your revenue is dependent on it, there's no way to extricate yourself from this tar baby.

Makes one wonder what else Apple leadership would agree to, to continue gaining access to the market (the execs would get replaced if they backed out of China now).

20. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

No. like everything else Putin and the Russians are behind this.

21. jeffg819 macrumors regular

Any company that thinks it will profit long term from sales within the Chinese market is in full delusion mode.

22. rshrugged macrumors 6502a

This move isn't surprising. The NYT hasn't shied away from publishing stories, before or after their was site being blocked, critical of China's all-encompassing censorship policies. Dozens here:
    http://www.nytimes.com/topic/destination/internet-censorship-in-china

And I'm sure China thinks The NYT "disrupts the social order" by reporting stories like this :
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/30/world/asia/china-end-one-child-policy.html?_r=0

To Apple -- "All the other kids are doing it" has never been a valid excuse for one's own past, current or future behavior. Extricate thyself.

23. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

You get your news from Breitbart?

24. dragje macrumors 6502a

dragje

Stupid remark. Ignorance is a bless
    Hear hear!

25. SoGood macrumors 6502

SoGood

Apple services are surprisingly functional in China, not so with Google. Google has zero future in the China market. For an investor, that's relevant. As for NYT, well, there's media brainwashing on both sides, all depends on one's point of view. LOL