New York Times Jailbreak Article

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by muskratboy, May 13, 2009.

1. muskratboy macrumors 6502

today's NYT talks about the jailbreak "problem" ... and includes this apple quote:

“Apple’s iPhone support department has received literally millions of reported incidents of software that crashes on jailbroken iPhones,”

they are claiming MILLIONS of people have reported APPS crashing on jailbroken iphones? or actually, that they have gotten "reported incidents" ... which sounds more like, "somebody told me some stuff."

Questions about this nonsense:

1) WHO THE **** calls apple to report a jailbroken app crash?

2) How many MILLIONS of incidents have they gotten about APPROVED apps crashing?

This quote sounds very questionable to me, on several levels. actually, it sounds like an outright lie.

thanks for the jailbreak FUD apple... as a PR company, you make pretty decent computers. :D

2. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

doesn't the iPhone store instances of crashed apps and submit it each time you sync? Perhaps that is what they were talking about.

3. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

PPPFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Are you kidding?

Man, we got TONS of posts on here like "Why is my iPhone so slow?". People respond and no one knows why, then the OP comes back and says "Oh, by the way, it's JB'd with this and that running"

facepalm

People have this whole "I'll do whatever I want, and you better help me NO MATTER WHAT APPLE!" attitude. I have zero problem believing a ton of people call Apple up and bitch even when their phone is jailbroken.

4. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

Same here. Consumers as a whole aren't usually the sharpest knives in the drawer.

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

cellocello, we seem to be on the same page on most of the ridiculous threads here. Most consumers aren't...experienced enough to understand why things don' work on their devices, and will naturally go to Apple for support when something goes wrong. Apple will waste man hours and resources addressing issues that they have no reasonable expectation to deal with, which screws over users with legitimate problems. I have no problem with jailbreaking or whatever, but don't come bitching when it doesn't work; or if you do, at least bitch to the right person. (Hint: It's not Apple)

6. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Oh man... I can't wait for these posts:

"My iPhone is jailbroken and I run SBSettings, Backgrounder, StatusNotifier, Intelliscreen, Winterboard and have dozens of themes running at once and I don't notice any slowdowns in performance, or crashing apps and I never restart my iPhone. Jailbreaking is way too cool. I will never go back to stock! Drink the kool-aid, blah blah blah..."

Those people are full of crap.

7. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

I hate people that dont research a product before buying it I know more about a product (MOST OF THE TIME!) than someone who has owned it for years. Dedicate around 5 hours of research for an electronic inclouding hacks if dropped in water stress tests etc theres no limit!

8. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

You mean like the ones YOU used to post?

9. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I'm the opposite. I experience lag when I jailbreak. Some people seem to install the same things and experience no lag at all... that's why I say they're full of crap.

10. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Uhh.. the whole point of the iPhone is that it's supposed to be different from all other phones. It's supposed to be the smartphone for people who don't want to read manuals.

11. con500 macrumors regular

Can you feel the love for apple on this thread? ;)
    Are consumers meant to assume that their iphones only crash or lag just because their devices are J/B. Perhaps its reasonable to accept that apple would be 1st point of call if an iphone jailbroken or not... acts up (where else can folk turn for support with such an exlusive brand that is the almighty apple). Not everyone can seriously pinpoint all faults to J/Bkn phones...Surely:rolleyes:

12. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Ummm .....

If I were apple, the very first words of out my mouth when troubleshooting would be "is your phone jailbroken". If the answer is yes, then the next words out of my mouth would be "restore it and try again".

If the problem persisted, then, and only then, would I continue troubleshooting.

13. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Exactly. One of the reasons I DON'T jailbreak is because I know that when something is acting weird, it's an Apple bug and not a result of a third party hack I installed. There's nothing worse than trying to figure out why something is misbehaving and trying to uninstall things one by one until you find out what's causing it.... if you ever do find out. When I'm running stock, I know that if something strange happens... it's not from me... it's from Apple. Then I submit a bug report and wait for them to fix it.

14. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

This is pretty much the MO of the New York Times.

They report on tech issues in an attempt to seem cutting edge, but either their reporters just flat-out make stuff up, or they've managed to hire some of the industry's most incompetent tech writers.

My money's on the reporters just "extrapolating" or "embellishing" whenever they think they can get away with it, on the basis that most people won't know enough to call them on it.

Sad thing is, they're probably right.

15. buccsmf1 macrumors 6502

correct, winterboard makes iphones run much slower.... this is a fact. anyone that says otherwise is lying. installed some themes and saw apps take 5-10 seconds longer to launch. removed themes and things went back to normal... I'm jailbroken but i only run SBsettings, the iphone is just too slow to keep all that other crap running

16. muskratboy thread starter macrumors 6502

that's what i was thinking, probably.

but that is still very typical PR... i'm sure the total crash logs from "real" apps are orders of magnitude greater than jailbroken apps. the sheer numbers of the app store make that a definite.

if the iphone reports every crash, then they've had MILLIONS of crash reports from safari alone. :rolleyes:

the iphone just being the the iphone generates millions of crashes, across the entire base. wow, this is bunk.

17. bigchief macrumors 6502a

Why would anyone believe anything the New York Times has to say? They are about to go broke because of all the lies they print.

18. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I think Apple's got the right idea to not support phones that have been JB. I used to JB my phone. When my phone refused to turn on after a JB install, I nearly had a heart attack. Luckily, it came on after a couple of hours. After that, I decided that JB isn't worth it.

19. cjm3113 macrumors 6502

'Those' people do not exist. You are beyond exaggeration.

20. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

When I was working as a tech support dude with an ISP, some guy thought I could fix the fact that he forgot his Windows password.

There are millions of utterly stupid computer users. There are millions of stupid phone users. I am not at all shocked about this. Don't forget that the people on here are not a cross-section of the overall computer users.