New York Times Paywall.. Any Alternatives?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by untypoed, Mar 25, 2011.

1. untypoed macrumors member

untypoed

So I started reading the New York Times online more.. AFTER CNN told me that they were putting up a paywall. Realized I actually like internet news. They tend to be more detailed than our terrible news networks in America.. I've been looking for a good alternative.. I'm not going to argue whether or not New York Times is worth paying for. The fact is, I'm struggling to afford groceries, so I don't think I will be able to pay $15 a month for a newspaper. I can bypass the paywall easily, I just don't like the idea that I even have to do that. I want an alternative that actually has reporters on the ground with most of the stories that they report on.. nothing like my local Columbus Dispatch which just copies AP articles. I hate local news.

I want something that's pretty fast in their news. Don't want to see my television saying something, 5 hours later, the website updates. I want something that's on the same speed so I know that when I'm not near a TV, I'm up to date as everyone else.

I wouldn't mind if they are not an American based news site (they're usually great). As long as when it comes to politics, they know what they're talking about.

I tried CNN.com but it's slow to update, flooded with ads and irrelevant articles, and hides latest news below the front page pictures without a timestamp. You have to really know what you're looking for before finding an article. I saw on tv that NATO took control of no fly zone. Ctrl+F, found it hidden between old articles with a tiny font. They also lack details in their articles. It's straight to the point and nonsense. Also, they have too many videos. I don't feel like sitting down, clicking a video, watching a 30 second mattress ad, then seeing a news report. I want to read articles.

I looked at Reuters, but then I heard that they tend to have a policy to not use objective language, even the word "terrorism".. so it makes me feel uncomfortable that I may not be getting everything I want.

I don't trust anything Rupert Murdoch does. He gives the message that Fox News is fair & balanced, at the same time telling those that want to hear it that it's also a Conservative outlet, when you all know it's not fair.

I've been looking for myself, but I kind of want other people's ideas. Helps me make a better decision. ;) So far, I tried Washington Post, LA Times, Reuters, BBC, Al Jazeera English.. I really can't make a choice by myself.

2. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Yes, you can.

Get your news from a variety of sources. RSS feeds are often underestimated.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Check the forum for another NYT thread. You can get full online access when you subscribe to the large print edition, which is weekly and cost under 2 bucks.

5. untypoed thread starter macrumors member

untypoed

What feeds do you recommend? I have some feeds added on Google Reader. One thing that frustrates me is that I don't really know who to subscribe to.. and if I do, which feed to subscribe to. For Example, NYTimes has World, US News, Politics, and just NYTimes.com feed. I wouldn't like to miss anything.

I do like the idea of having one main news source along with others, that I get my news. For example, right now CNN just went into breaking news coverage from Jordan, but I'm also looking at an Al Jazeera English stream, but my main source is CNN.. But I tend to like RSS feeds.

6. untypoed thread starter macrumors member

untypoed

Blah I'm not a fan of paying for things I can get elsewhere for free.

7. untypoed thread starter macrumors member

untypoed

Blah I'm not a fan of paying for things I can get elsewhere for free.

8. Nicksd84 macrumors 6502

Just take the headline and search for it on google. You click and there's no wall. WSJ does the same thing. It's how I read most articles there.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93