New York Times writes article on iPhone 3G network problems

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by manhattanboy, Aug 29, 2008.

1. barkomatic macrumors 68040

The news is spreading. 3G on the iphone is an utter disaster in many major cites. I laughed when Apple said 2% of iphone users were affected--wishful thinking. I hope this article and others to come will put pressure on both companies to fix this product. I would be fine with waiting for a fix if they decide to comp part or all of the data plan while they finish beta testing the iphone.

This will certainly damage AT&T but Apple stands to lose customers as well. Those who return their iphones in frustration will have to sign two-year agreements with other carriers--effectively keeping them from coming back for a long time.

2. golgo1313 macrumors regular

i for one am waiting the storm out... i held off buying 2.5g last year due to the fact that it was 2.5g. was excited about the 3g, waited till the stupid lines became shorter, then this... maybe once the quality has stabilized and the new 2.1 firmware has fixed all the 3g issues, i'll dive in. but for now, i'm happy with my nokia e65.

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Just like the NY Times to jump on the bus after it has been on television, the internet, etc. I'm waiting it out as well...:rolleyes:

4. manhattanboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

manhattanboy

Just curious as to what you are waiting out... it looks like you already own a white iPhone??

5. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

6. goodcow macrumors 6502a

7. camarobh macrumors 6502

No issues here

Four iPhone 3Gs in my house, all work great with no issues. We live in San Diego and don't have any dropped calls or connection issues. I have taken my 3G to NYC for 10 days, worked great there too. Also have been to Los Angeles and Dallas, again with no issues.

8. imacdaddy macrumors 6502a

The 3G reception on the iPhone is fine here in Hong Kong. I haven't had any dropped calls or slow 3G data speeds here. Perhaps its an AT&T problem.

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I'm waiting out "the fix" September '08, v. taking it to the Apple Store for "the placebo fix" which isn't what I'm looking for.:cool:

10. meistervu macrumors 65816

Please raise your hand if you are not here

The silence is deafening isn't it.

The problem with trying to gauge the magnitude of a problem is that the people who are not affected by usually don't speak up. If it wasn't for this forum and the headlines on local stations I would never have suspected that there may be a 3G reception problem.

So far I haven't noticed any 3G problem on my 3G iPhone. Perhaps I am not looking hard enough. Is there a suite of tests I can run? May be I will make an app, charge a nominal fee for it, and make a fortune :)

But seriously, I wish there is a way to measure the percentage of people affected by this problem.

11. ibosie macrumors 6502

ibosie

The same problems are world wide though which must come as huge embarrassment to Apple. Me personally I just don't know what to think - I have one iphone perfect except for dropped calls and another with a yellow tinge screen and a tendency to brick but no drops (both have the same apps synched to the same account on iTunes). Mobile phone companies are not exactly known for good technology so I suppose it is possible there are a lot of pants networks out there, right around the globe.

12. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I will say that for the most part 3G while I was In DC this past week sucked. It was very slow and unreliable compared to my connection in Puert Rico.