New Yorker app finally gets it right

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by important, May 9, 2011.

1. important macrumors member

Per reports last week, as of this morning, if you are a print subscriber to the New Yorker, you now get the iPad app content for free.

Additionally, they are running some new pricing on subscriptions:

$40/year for a combined print and digital (iPad included) subscription or $70 for two years. I called to extend my current subscription and they threw in a third year for another $30.

My only regret is that they don't offer a "digital only" subscription.

Subscription info here:

https://w1.buysub.com/pubs/N3/NYR/s...0900366025160&vid=2&cds_response_key=I8JNAALX

2. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

if there is no digital only subscription, then they haven't gotten it right. Why should they pay to produce a paper magazine that I don't want and will go right in the recycle bin?

3. important thread starter macrumors member

I believe digital-only is $60 a year, which is dumb - it should be less expensive than physical + digital, but...they make their money selling ads in the physical magazine, so they want to keep that circulation up.

4. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I thought it was less for just the digital. Ten dollars or so. But it is still less.

5. pagansoul macrumors 65816

pagansoul

A dollar an issue is a good price for the New Yorker. Remember a year is over 47 issues. I would think that you should get an even bigger discount for just digital but I guess it will be a while before they start doing that.

6. bmat macrumors 6502

This is a much better model. It was annoying that Conde Nash was complaining about people not subscribing when they wanted $4.99 an issue. Now at least they can see if it's not worth it.

Does anyone know if you have more than 1 iPad attached to your account whether you get the content on both? Or if that requires two subscriptions -- one for each.

7. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

This is a good question. I am hoping it can be used on any device you have or use.

8. mlstein, May 9, 2011
    Last edited: May 9, 2011

mlstein macrumors newbie

Really? It just says "digital subscription," and I got an email solicitation for print, ipad, and web--note they list these as separate--for $69.99. It sounds like the $49.99 might be for print and web only and the ipad subscription is another $20.00. That would have made sense with the reports that the ipad sub would cost $20 a year--but then again, the ipad app itself says that a one-year subscription is $59.99.

9. btrav13 macrumors 6502

I think they are pretty close to getting it right. Until advertisers are completely comfortable with "iPad app" advertising I think they are still going to push people to take the print copy...but it's a huge step in the right direction, and digital only will be coming for most of these mags/publications.