New Yorkers... How much is your bill?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pinkstiletto66, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Pinkstiletto66 macrumors 6502

For anyone who has the 39.99 plan plus 25 for data, how much are you paying after taxes? Also, anyone on the cheaper data plan how much is your bill? After doing the math it seems taxes are almost twenty dollars extra. That's nuts. What happened to the twelve dollar rip off?

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Crazy, huh? 84 bucks and change on Long Island.

3. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

Omg. Ridiculous. Not worth it. Lol. I like the phone but damn if I'm going to be paying premium price I need premium service. Good grief. I have the afore mentioned plan plus 200 texts and I received my bill a week ago. 87 bucks. :mad:

4. dthmtlgod macrumors 6502

Unlimited and text plus the plan and my bill is $82 and change, that includes corporate discount.

5. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

my my, they charge you a lot over the pond, my plan here in the UK is 2000 Mins, Unlimited Texts, and Unlimited Data (With Tethering) for £35 a month (about $54)

how do they get away with charging you so much?

6. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

Honestly, I pay $25 a month for data only using the ipad sim hack. I use google voice as my main line over wifi and 3g.

Is the quality lackluster? Slightly.....Do the receivers hear me clear? Yes. Do I hear them clear? For the most part. Would i like to use tmobile or att as my service provider? Perhaps.

Only thing is my usage is sporadic. I can go days without having to use the phone unless its a 1-5 minute phone convo. It could be a day or 2 where I chat it up for hours.

I'm still in the debating period if this is the ideal set up for me....or just go to att or tmobile..........:rolleyes:

7. james92se macrumors 6502a

I don't live in NY, but there are ways to get your bills lower no matter where you live. Check with your school/work/whatever regarding discounts with AT&T. I've been with AT&T for years and years now and just in the past year realized I was eligible for a discount through my school this whole time (I'm now an alumnus but have a permanent .edu email address through it). It saves something like 9 bucks off my bill. You can check studentrate.com for school discounts

I have the lowest minutes plan 450/5000, 200 texts, and unlimited data

My last bill was $69.xx, total, after all taxes and fees, etc. My bill used to routinely top $110 for the lowest minutes plan, unlimited texts, and internet.

I've been using TextFree for about 6 months now with great success to offset the fact that I only get 200 AT&T texts (I use several thousand per month). TextFree now also has picture messaging and voice. You get completely free incoming calls and you can accumulate free outgoing minutes very quickly and easily. I've accumulated 2,000+ outgoing minutes, all for free. So in this sense you can really make up for the fact that you only have 450 anytime minutes with AT&T.

I would drop my texts completely from AT&T and get my bill down to under $65 but I keep it around as backup in case there are ever TextFree issues

8. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have a free texting, mms app. So I'm good with that for the most part. I completely forgot to see if I can get a discount from my college. Although I'm not enrolled now I might enroll for the spring. Thanks for the reminder. I know not all colleges get the discount.

9. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow I already wanted to move to the UK for different reasons but with that price I might be on the first plane over there. Lol

10. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

I was considering just getting an iPod touch and use google voice/talkatone on it. I speak to one person for long periods usually after nine p.m. And a few others rarely. I really don't need a phone now but it beats a nasty germg payphone. I will look into the discount because it's not making sense for me now plus the hissing/white noise that I hear during a call. Makes my decision easier. I do like most of my phone. That's another story.

11. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

you would have to pay the equivalent of $7.65 a Gallon for Fuel though, For Our Lose :(!

the problems with using an iPod touch as your phone come in the fact you have to then get an mobile hotspot device, these devices generally only have a battery life of "up to" 5 hours, meaning you'd either need to keep turning it on and off, before making a call or sending a text, or leaving it on and charging it twice a day, or how will you receive calls and texts, plus you have to carry it around with you, and the Emergency Services are less likely to get a fix on your location if you have an accident

so you really need to weigh up the Pros and Cons before going Phoneless, unless you also carry around a cheap pay-as-you go phone, but then you have to carry 3 things with you everywhere you go, before you even grab your wallet and keys

12. felch macrumors member

Is that $54 after all the taxes included on top? Dont you guys have 20% VAT?

13. Lukeyy19, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2011

Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

Sorry, it was £35 with the 17.5% VAT, so you're right, its now £35.75 (increased on Tuesday, Stupid Government) which is about $55.50, so basically the same

We don't add our taxes on after like you do, its already included when we buy stuff, was really confusing when i went to Florida a few months back, everything was more expensive than it said! Grrr

14. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

Damn fuel over there is ridiculous. Ugh. I have to do my research but the U.K., Australia, and some other countries for my move but I digress. Yea I can't go phoneless. I think I'll just go back to my old phone and wait until June/July for the newer version. At least by then I might not be too pissed about my bill because I will be enrolled back at school (get the discount) and the newer features that are rumored to to be on the phone are well worth it. Im kinda pissed the iPhone is last on the bandwagon for some of it's features. Ugh.

15. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

I dont see why you'd want move to the UK from New York City anyway... i live in a reasonable sized town in the county of Essex, and it's crap, the place is filled with chavs in their ricer renault clios and citroen saxos, having kids in their teens, living off benefits. you live in New York City, i'd love to go to New York City!

I Live Here:

[​IMG]

You Live Here:

[​IMG]

(sorry to go off-topic - feel free to reply via PM if you want to keep this thread on-topic)