New YouTube and Safari, unresponsive and have to refresh constantly!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 212rikanmofo, Sep 15, 2017.

1. 212rikanmofo macrumors 68000

What is up with the new YouTube? I find myself having to constantly refresh to get links to actually work. Sometimes when clicking on a link in YouTube or typing in the searchbox and hit enter does nothing. Arghh, it's frustrating and makes using YouTube such a hassle, does anyone know what's wrong and how we can fix this?

2. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I noticed that as well yesterday. Do you have an ad blocker Safari extension? When I paused mine, things became less “wonky,” but I was still left wondering why one of the most popular sites in the world suddenly performed so poorly and erratically.

3. 212rikanmofo thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes, I have U-Block, but why would that interfere with YouTube? I'm thinking there's some sort of problem on YouTube's end because this also happens on Chrome on my Windows 10 machine as well.

4. 212rikanmofo, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017

212rikanmofo thread starter macrumors 68000

Anyone know whats wrong with YouTube and Safari? Even the new Safari in MacOS High Sierra is the same. I have to click and refresh multiple times in order to get links to actually load. I also don't have any comments showing up underneath the videos also. So frustrating.

I tried disabling U-Block and YouTube works now. I am using the latest 0.9.5.2, is there a fix or another good adblocker for Safari that will work with YouTube? Looks like YouTube changed a few things.

5. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I also use U-Block, so I'm guessing that's the culprit here (not Safari or YouTube).

6. 212rikanmofo thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes U-Block is the culprit, only workaround is to disable it for YouTube. Hope there will be an updated U-Block soon, I really hate ads when using YouTube.

7. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

‘Tie a shame. Quite frustrating.

8. upandown macrumors 6502a

Not sure which program you're exactly using but I personally use "ublock origin". And I don't have any issues with YouTube in Safari.

Ublock Origin isn't officially supported in Safari from the original developer. But it was forked and works very well from a different developer.

https://github.com/el1t/uBlock-Safari/releases

9. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Thank you! I was using some form of uBlock (apparently), but after downloading from your direct link, things work & look much better. I appreciate it.