New YouTube app

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by davidoloan, Dec 9, 2014.

1. davidoloan macrumors 6502

OK, so the Old YouTube app was straight out of 1999; while updating subscriptions it appeared that the TV had turned off for a few minutes.

But this new app - it's very shiny, but I think it's rubbish.

Maybe it will get better, but

Advertisements are now on the Apple TV

On a channel with 50 videos I can find 12. (Harry's garage)

It autoplays another video, after the one you chose has finished.

My circa 300 favorites seem to be 20 videos.

It's bombarding me a lot of rubbish I don't want to watch, even though the desktop version is quite good at suggesting related material I often do watch.

When you pause a nicely shot film, so you can see the image on your TV, it darkens the screen and puts 2 badly chosen suggestions on the screen along with a huge Resume button, even though I know how to use the play button on my controller. However, that may be because the play button doesn't actually start play again.

This app is new in the UK today, I don't know if this is old news elsewhere.

Moan over, at least it has nice album art.

2. Idgit, Dec 9, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2014

Idgit macrumors 6502

Idgit

Get an ATV2. The update doesn't apply to that version, so my YouTube experience is still gloriously ad-free.

:cool:

3. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Well it was bound to happen sooner or later..... Remember when the iPhone app was ad free?

4. davidoloan thread starter macrumors 6502

It probably was bound to happen, but this is probably the thin end of the wedge. Ads will likely appear on many Apple TV apps. I like the BBC and I am willing to pay for Netflix etc, so I find it disappointing.

It makes me much more likely to consider the Apple TV competitors as things evolve.

5. Irishman macrumors 68030

What ARE you talking about??? Youtube imbeds ads on their own videos, so, on which ever device you play them on, you see ads. By Apple drawing the line in the sand, we were unable to SEE those videos (with or without ads).

If you decide to use a Roku, you'll see ads.
    If you decide to use a Fire TV, you'll see ads.
    If you decide to use a Chromecast, you'll see ads.

By the way, my AppleTV 2 doesn't show the updated app.

What's up with that? (Yes, I have auto updates turned on, and I've had the ATV2 check for updates, and it found none!)

6. davidoloan thread starter macrumors 6502

No, it's not that simple.

For years I have been watching, for example evo tv, drive, etc videos which have ads on iPhone/iPad and desktop, without ads on Apple TV.

It helps to be right, if you are going to be shouty about it.

7. Irishman macrumors 68030

I'm talking about Youtube on AppleTV. That's the only thing that's changed with this update. You DO realize that not all Youtube videos have ads at all? Mostly, it's partner channels that use them?

You'll be okay, I think. :)

8. davidoloan, Dec 10, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2014

davidoloan thread starter macrumors 6502

What's with the smartass attitude?

Go to the EVO tv channel on YouTube on your desktop or iphone/ipad and a play a video. You will see an ad.

If you still have the old YouTube app on your Apple TV 2 find the same video and it will play with no ad. Therefore you are wrong.

As of yesterday with the new app, there are ads on the Apple TV for the first time.

9. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

Wow, I was seriously considering selling my ATV 2 --but not now. Another checkmark in the plus column for ATV 2.

10. davidoloan, Dec 10, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2014

davidoloan thread starter macrumors 6502

This new app doesn't (at first glance) have anything the Apple TV2 wouldn't handle; so I wouldn't be surprised if it appears on yours soon.

----------

I think a lot of people probably stopped using the Apple TV YouTube app at least a year ago since it was stuck in the dark ages, and have been using iOS and AirPlay to the Apple TV.

Google were probably able to tell apple that people were choosing ios YouTube over Apple TV YouTube even though they had to watch ads.

One of the main reasons I am using an Apple TV is so that I can buy / receive the stuff I want without ads. Hate ads on TV.

11. VideoBeagle macrumors 6502a

The ads, while annoying isn't the problem, imo.

It's the channels/lists only showing the first 20 videos.

12. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

The 20 videos limit is a bug according to google

Please know that we are actively investigating the following issues on the YouTube app on Apple TV:

Playlists are currently limited to 20 videos. This is a bug we're working to resolve.
    Search results are limited to 20 videos. This is also an issue we're working on.
    Some people are getting the error message "YouTube is unavailable" on their Subscriptions and My YouTube pages. We're investigating the issue.

13. tonyr6 macrumors 65816

tonyr6

Not if you use http://www.amazon.com/Apollo-Apps-ProTube/dp/B00OCO0910/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1418245380&sr=8-6&keywords=youtube.
    It may be a little sluggish and harder to navigate but anything is better then seeing those stupid car ads and that annoying christmas ads of those 2 brats screaming there heads up opening up Norton AV which I ditched Norton crud years ago. Now that the Apple TV has ads I will stick with ProTube on the Fire TV and use Adblock in Firefox and Chrome. Ad companies can stuff it where the sun don't shine.

14. vovov macrumors newbie

Can someone who had the autoupdate off on their Apple TV 3 tell how things are at the moment? Do you get asked to update and if so, how often? Or does the autoupdate off really enable you to stay with the old Youtube app indefinitely?

I made the mistake of having the autoupdate on and i´m thinking of buying a new ATV that still has the previous firmware. But only if it is certain that i can stay with the old firmware and not get forced the update, or have my kid/me do it by accident.

15. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Apple updates the apps such as YouTube separate from the firmware updates.

16. VideoBeagle macrumors 6502a

Channels just update.

I was IN THE YOUTUBE app, and when I backed out to the main GUI, I found the new flag.

17. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

I find the new app is horrible based on how I use it.

I watch lots of YouTube content on my AppleTV. But, this update has killed off some major functions I used all of the time. I rely heavily on the search function and related videos.

The new app:

- only shows 20 search results with no "show more results" (looks like they know about this one though

- after a video finishes, you no longer see the "related videos" or "show more from <username>"

- when using apple wireless keyboard... type search criteria and hit enter, you no longer get a list of results with a detail view of the selected search result in the left pane (showing upload date and description)

I really hope they bring these functions back because now it's pretty much useless to me.

:mad:

18. vovov, Dec 10, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2014

vovov macrumors newbie

So you confirm that you are still in the old firmware (what firmware number?) but the Youtube chanel is new?

My old firmware I downgraded to still has the old YouTube. I just have to cancel the update download every time i turn the ATV on from sleep. Although I'm unsure what update it is downloading.

19. Dan DRC macrumors member

Has anyone else had any trouble with the activate process?
    When I go to youtube.com/activate on my ipad it wont let me enter the code shown on the ATV youtube app. It will not accept letters only numbers and the code the ATV app generates are all letters.

20. VideoBeagle macrumors 6502a

No...at least I don't think I'm on the old firmware...at least it hasn't updated in a bit..let me check the os..7.02 6915 ?

21. vovov macrumors newbie

That is the new firmware. Thanks for checking.

I still wonder if people, that have blocked the new firmware, have been able to stay with the old Youtube app?

22. Drich290195 macrumors 6502

Drich290195

Everytime I turn off and on it have to re activate the app with my account getting beyond a joke. It's rubbish if I pause something to read it I can't see it. The play button does not even resume. The ads I can live with FairPlay it pays the content providers. The shoddy buggy interface I cannot.

23. tg81 macrumors member

Does it go dark for everyone else when seeking in reverse or forward? And is slo-mo completely gone as well?

24. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

YouTube is not playing on my Apple TV. All I see is a black screen while the audio plays in the background.

The activation process is also weird. Why do I have to go to the website and key in a code?

25. Brandon-411 macrumors newbie

So I have an AT2, and still do not have the newest YouTube app. Did Apple not push the update out to the older generation?