New Zealand Macbook Pros

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jehct, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Jehct macrumors newbie

Hey guys, quick question you you all.

I've been looking forward to these new models since last november when i almost bought a 2010 model but decided to wait for the refresh and im very pleased that i did.

However, after speaking with my local reseller, the national laptop buyer for that company and the exclusive national distributer for all apple products 'Renaissance", I've discovered that the models are not arriving until tuesday next week.

That would be ok with me, but it looks like they will only be getting the standard issue of each model in stock (eg no models with hi rez screens or ssd). These apparently will take 2-3 weeks to arrive.

What bugs me is how i hear stories from you guys about how you guys can get the CTO on the day of release in australia and the states and we in New Zealand have to wait weeks.

Im probably just being fussy, but if anyone could offer any suggestions that would be great.

Many thanks in advance.

2. ajdb9 macrumors member

I'm in Auckland, And here's what I've experienced:
    They NEVER stock anything except the standard models, as listed on the Apple website (none of the upgrades, such as now the 2.3 quad).
    I phone Albany Yoobee (Magnum Mac until recently) store today and was told around 2 weeks before they would have the 'new' Macbook Pros in store.
    But the NZ Apple store has everything :)
    Xander

3. Apple NZ macrumors member

Unfortunately CTO units aren't usually distributed through NZ. You will have to order online or through resellers who can order CTO units for you.

Renaissance isn't the only distributor in NZ, the company I work for deals with Apple Australia, the closet Apple office to NZ.

So you can't do anything but wait but my opinion is that ordering online will be faster. Or you could make a daytrip to Australia to get one.

4. Jehct thread starter macrumors newbie

Well i might just have to wait, as i get a good discount at a certain NZ store where i used to work.

Why doesn't New Zealand get the standard models the same day as everyone else though?

Think we are a little hard done by here.

I just want to get my hands on my new 15" 2.2 quad core, 7200pm 500g hd, hi rez glossy screen and 1g amd card.

Hopefully the windows partition will recognize the dedicated graphics and not use the integrated because i plan on doing a lot of gaming.

5. Apple NZ macrumors member

Maybe it takes long since Apple don't have their own distrubution network in NZ - resellers have to deal with Apple Australia or Renaissance.

BTW, I got an email from Yoobee with the subject "Pre-order your new MacBook Pro instore now" so are they actually instore now or coming Tuesday or coming in 2 weeks?

And I would also like to know how Windows behaves with the graphics. Is it like the previous MBPs where it is stuck on dedicated graphics? Please help with this.

Cheers.

6. Treeman574 macrumors regular

For some reason here in australia, it's the opposite. They only seem to have the bto options of the 15" models, no standard. Or at least they will refuse sales, until the bto options have been sold.

7. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

I'd stick with ordering online if you want a BTO Mac in NZ.

8. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Umm I live in New Zealand too and I purchased a custom order iMac on the Apple NZ online store. It took only 3-4 days to come after placing the order :)

(BTW it came from Aussie)

9. Jehct thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool well i guess thats it.

Only thing left i would like to know is how the graphics act on the windows partition. Could anyone detail to us how it will work?

10. rkmac macrumors 6502

rkmac

Really? You can't wait a couple of weeks? Just get a BTO off the Apple NZ website and it will be delivered to your house within weeks.
    No shops carry BTO machines in my experience (other than Magnum Mac, which is owned by Renaissance NZ, but even they usually dont have all options in stock and usually only have a few BTOs available).
    Also remember that Australia and the USA have Apple retail stores, whereas here in New Zealand we don't. Stores like DSE and Noel Leeming can sometimes offer slightly cheaper prices on Apple computers, but that is because they buy them in bulk from Apple. Base models usually sell more than customs, so why would they bulk buy customs that they then have to find a way to sell?
    Maybe one day we will see Apple Retail stores in New Zealand, then you could probably expect their shops to carry all options, but until that day, just be a bit more patient ;)

11. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Hey fellas, c'mon over to oz and buy yours here. Cheap ticket + holiday + new MBP = happy kiwi

12. Apple NZ macrumors member

Try to time your holiday so that Dick Smith has 10% off Macs when you're there. But one disadvantage of buying from Oz is that the Consumer Guarantees Act wont cover you in NZ.

Edit: by the way several retailers are expecting stock either Monday or Tuesday...

13. Jehct thread starter macrumors newbie

Nevermind. I've arranged for cost + 5% and 24 mnths int free so I'll just wait. I've waited this long can wait a little more.

Ive never been so excited for a purchase, this will be my first Mac.

Hopefully it will be allgood for gaming. I'm gonna be playing shogun 2, Swtor and Diablo 3. How Do you guys think the high end 15" shud run those?

And will the windows partition recognize the intergrated and dedicated gpu's?

I will be using osx and lion for everything else.