New Zealand's trial 4 day work week: resounding success

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Stella, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Stella macrumors G3

Stella

2. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

I worked a 4 day week at a couple of jobs. It was great! Not perfect (it made for long days) but pretty nice.

3. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

The idea here is that you do not have long days. You work 4 days with normal hours and get paid the same as if you worked 5 days with normal hours.

For jobs that don't depend on the employees being there physically (which e.g. retail does), and depend on results rather than the outdated idea that you should be there 40+ hours just...because, it makes a lot of sense. From past experience, I can attest that a 3-day weekend rather than a 2-day weekend makes a big difference. (I also further cut back eventually and went to a 4-day weekend, which didn't make as much of a difference.)

--Eric

4. Dingster101 macrumors member

I work 4 eights and it’s really nice.

5. cube macrumors G5

France had it right in 2000 with the 35 hours.

6. Cordorb macrumors regular

I liked the 2 weeks on then 2 weeks off better

7. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030

ThunderSkunk

I regularly find New Zealand to be the ideal place on this planet to be a human being.

8. wbeasley macrumors 6502

wbeasley

been doing the same for the last month. open plan environment, quiet (mostly). bit of face to face but mostly you just on and do your work. jump up for a coffee or a leg stretch then back to it. quite a cosy work area as short on space but that promotes ruthless tidiness: one small pile of paperwork and leave the desk tidy. it's as close to non-ownership of a workspace as you can get.

most days do 8-13:30 then lunch which makes for a rather swift post lunch 2.5 hours.

i'm sure i get more done now than i did before. and happier because of it.

9. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I am currently on a 4-10 schedule and love it. 3-12's makes for a very long work day.

10. 960design macrumors 68030

We trial tested a four day work week for the last 4 weeks ( this is the last week ). Math wise we produced less work hours, but I did enjoy the three day weekends.

11. SnacksGU macrumors regular

Im sure people would prefer to work less...nature tendency. However, was the success based on previous expectations of 5 8 hour work days? Will they become tired of 4 work days? :)

12. cube macrumors G5

The Swiss voted against 6 weeks of holidays.

13. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese