Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Release dates and Zelda are never certain. I'd be surprised if it was out this year. However my excitement for a Wii Zelda is tempered by the fact that I did not enjoy the controls in Twilight Princess on the Wii - bordering on making me hate the game, and I ended up buying the gamecube version.

I still think WindWaker was a better and more enjoyable game than Twilight Princess.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
I agree that Zelda game release dates are never certain, and get pushed back all the time. However, I remember hearing that they had already been working on a Zelda for the Wii when it came out (Z:TP was a Gamecube Zelda, as we all know). That gives me some hope that they should be close. It's been years since then. I'm guessing before xmas, or *possibly* early in '11. But my guess is it will be released for the holiday season.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I doubt it will be out this year, but good heavens I can't wait. Zelda is my favourite gaming series and I can't wait to see what they pull out of their hat this time.

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
Haha, Wind Waker? That's the only one I have had no desire to play. My friends that did play it said that it was one of the worst they had played (with the exception of Zelda 2, but we'll just pretend that one didn't happen).

A Link to the Past was amazing for SNES and then Orcarina+Majora's Mask were very fun but I feel like TP was even better. I had it for Wii and I thought the controls were smooth enough. A little annoying wagging around that controller, but you can do a lot just barely moving your wrist. Not that hard to get used to. Other than that I thought the story was cool and the scenes were a big change from the last versions.

To be fair I guess I have not played Wind Waker myself. I can probably find a used copy pretty cheap so maybe I should do that before I pass too much judgment. :D

But... I'm REALLY excited for the new Zelda!

OttawaGuy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2006
It's hard to believe that they would miss the Christmas shopping season if they could avoid it.

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
Haha, Wind Waker? That's the only one I have had no desire to play.
You missed out then, because it was one of the best in the series. Sure, the graphic style was a little odd at first look, but once you see it in motion and how well thought out it was, it worked great. And the game itself was awesome as well. I do agree that Link to the Past is probably the best in series, but Wind Waker is my second fav, easily.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Windwaker had the best animation and in motion the most believable Link. His facial expressions were amazing.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I meant beliveable as in, given the animation and facial expressions link felt more real to me. WindWakers style reminded me of a Hayao Miyazaki meets Disney film. Everything just seemed to work, the audio effects and music, graphics, the lighting, the world as a whole just seemed so more tangible and seemed to gel together more than Twilight Princess.

Something doesn't have to look photorealistic to be believable. But it seems Windwaker polarised players. With some just unable to get over the 'style' and see the considerable substance within.

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
Something doesn't have to look photorealistic to be believable.
Exactly. All of Nintendo's most iconic characters/mascots are nowhere even remotely "realistic" in their design or actions. So for Wind Waker to have that cel-shaded, almost comic book style look to it, the overall feel just played that much better. It certainly WAS a point of contention for people, especially diehard fans. I, myself, didn't like it at all when I first saw it. But, like was said before, when you see it all in action, and you get a feel for the entire design aesthetic as a whole, it worked wonderfully.

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
His facial expressions were amazing.

This is why Wind Waker is my favorite Zelda game. Link has always felt so dead to me - completely emotionless. But Wind Waker Link was alive! He showed fear, anger, surprise.. everything! Absolutely brilliant.

I do really enjoy Twilight Princess (actually playing through again right now), but I would love to see another "big screen" implementation of the Wind Waker style. I doubt I'll even pick up Spirit Tracks, because Zelda is a game my wife and I play together (I play, she watches and helps with puzzles) so having it on the DS just isn't nearly as enjoyable for us.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
I meant beliveable as in, given the animation and facial expressions link felt more real to me. WindWakers style reminded me of a Hayao Miyazaki meets Disney film. Everything just seemed to work, the audio effects and music, graphics, the lighting, the world as a whole just seemed so more tangible and seemed to gel together more than Twilight Princess.

Something doesn't have to look photorealistic to be believable. But it seems Windwaker polarised players. With some just unable to get over the 'style' and see the considerable substance within.

I couldn't agree more. :)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I liked WindWaker (first game I preordered) but the layout of the map completely turned me off. The dungeons and larger islands were brilliant but I wished they had fewer but bigger islands.
Okay so TP with the WW visual style, oh and the orchestra that did the music for Mario Galaxy.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I liked WindWaker (first game I preordered) but the layout of the map completely turned me off. The dungeons and larger islands were brilliant but I wished they had fewer but bigger islands.

Nah, more AND bigger islands! :)

I thought there was a bit TOO much sailing involved, particularly if into the wind (t-e-d-i-o-u-s!). But I loved the game concept.

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
I dont like how Zelda games always have to have a gimmick now. Wind Waker's gimmick was the sailing, using a boat is cool but they made it the focus of the game world which gimmicked it up to the point that it got old, most of the game was still good with quality sidequests but if they toned down the sailing aspect it would have been so much better. Pretty much everything about Majoras Mask was a gimmick, I gave up about half way through that piece of crap. Twilight Princess had to have the wolf gimmick which was by far the worst part of the game, outside of that it was pretty good but severely lacking in sidequests making it kind of dull. Ocarina of Time was gimmick free which might be why most people like that one the most, it was just a solid adventure game.

This new Wii game sounds like its going to revolve around a gimmick as well.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Pretty much everything about Majoras Mask was a gimmick, I gave up about half way through that piece of crap. Twilight Princess had to have the wolf gimmick which was by far the worst part of the game, outside of that it was pretty good but severely lacking in sidequests making it kind of dull. Ocarina of Time was gimmick free which might be why most people like that one the most, it was just a solid adventure game.

Wait, so putting on masks to change form is a gimmick, but playing an Ocarina to travel through time is not? :confused:

It's been a while since I played a Zelda game. :( I miss.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I dont like how Zelda games always have to have a gimmick now. Wind Waker's gimmick was the sailing, using a boat is cool but they made it the focus of the game world which gimmicked it up to the point that it got old, most of the game was still good with quality sidequests but if they toned down the sailing aspect it would have been so much better. Pretty much everything about Majoras Mask was a gimmick, I gave up about half way through that piece of crap. Twilight Princess had to have the wolf gimmick which was by far the worst part of the game, outside of that it was pretty good but severely lacking in sidequests making it kind of dull. Ocarina of Time was gimmick free which might be why most people like that one the most, it was just a solid adventure game.

This new Wii game sounds like its going to revolve around a gimmick as well.

Wait what. The series has to evolve and have new things, its been going since 1985 after all.
I find they add depth and character to the individual games. Though as mentioned above I don't see how a time travelling mechanic is not a gimmick whilst others are (that also add depth to the gameplay, add puzzles etc).
TP was lacking sidequests? It's the first Zelda I haven't 100%ed because there really was too much to do. I gave up on the bugs, ghosts and heart pieces in the end. Could never finish that trial dungeon area too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.